black plastic

• 3 Replies

lizzie1982

black plastic
« on: March 28, 2010, 17:51 »
Hello to everyone
I am after a bit of advice regarding black plastic. I have been reading the threads about sorting out new allotments, and keep reading about black plastic that helps to suppress weeds.
Where is the best place to order it from, as my plot is quite big- 50ft x 60ft. (not sure how many rods/poles that is?)
I would need quite alot, as we are only concentrating on a small area at the moment- about a quarter of the whole plot.
Also, we have dug out a bed of soil approx. 7ft square for planting spuds in. It is currently 1 spade deep and quite muddy. Should i put wood around it and then refill with compost and manure, or plant straight into the ground?
Any help is very much appreciated as I am a novice to allotments.

prakash_mib

Re: black plastic
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 18:32 »
doesnt need to be a prize winner. people fetch that kind of stuff from poundland. :)
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 18:35 »
In your first year, a wise move would be to keep your spends to a minimum - cardboard will do the job at keeping weeds down just as well as black plastic, and you should be able to find it free - it'll do the job till you get round to digging those parts over.

Certainly worth investing in the plastic if allotmenteering becomes a passion.

Your other question about raised beds, is about how you want to garden - in theory, you don't need to dig over raised beds over every year. Some say digging destroys the soil stucture.

Personally, I like digging (saves me a fortune on gym membership) - and by using scaffold boards for paths, I think it'll give me more flexibility & space for planting throughout the year. So I've chosen not to have raised beds. But I'm sure if you look around your allotment you'll see that lots of people are fans of raised beds. It really is a matter of choice.

As to manuring.... I'm not bothering this year, but I plan to get hold of lots of manure for next year. The plot I've taken over hasn't had anyone really growing anything on it for a number of years - just a series of people that have given it a bit of a go and then given up 'cos they realised they didn't really enjoy it or have the time to commit. So I know the soil should be very fertile.

Not sure what you mean by the soil being one spade deep... I'm guessing you mean that this is how far you've dug it over. If that's so, then if you dig trenches to plant your potatoes, I'd just loosen the soil below with a fork - just to make it a bit easier for the roots to find a way through.

lizzie1982

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 18:46 »
Hiya thanks for your replies.
The 1 spade deep thing, is i've dug down the depth of 1 spade. The soil is full of clay, and is quite tough to dig.
We were advised by a fellow plot holder to burn all the old raspberry canes in the hole that we've dug to make the soil more fertile.
I am off work for the 2 wks easter holiday with my kids so no doubt i will be doing plenty more digging.

xx
Black Plastic

Started by Hey Jude on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 15, 2011, 14:48
by crh75
xx
Black plastic: Below as well as above?

Started by Browseruk on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 14, 2023, 20:17
by Browseruk
xx
Planting under black plastic?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 05, 2012, 21:09
by gobs
xx
Mypex or black plastic?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 21, 2012, 01:23
by Erfurt

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 33 queries.