Well, that's it for another 8 months

• 9 Replies

David.

« on: December 07, 2007, 14:39 »
Pressed my last 4.5 gall of apple juice yesterday and have been told it's time to stop and prepare for Christmas.

The last apples were getting rather soft and throwing heavy sediments, and I've been at it since August.

At least I managed to press 117 gallons before stopping.

noshed

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 14:43 »
What's yer address?
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

WG.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 14:54 »
117 gals = 936 pints = 1.28219 pints per person per day for a whole year if there are 2 people in your household.  Actually only 1.27869 pints if 2008 is a leap year.

What do you do with it all?

Rob the rake

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 15:00 »
117 nights at a gallon a night, hmm...I don't think you've made enough, David. :D  :D  :D

Rob.
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

David.

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 16:04 »
Quote from: "WG."
What do you do with it all?

Well, there is a bit of a problem there as, when I cost justified buying pressing equipment I said there would also be loads of apple juice for drinking. I also seem to have shot myself in the other foot by giving my wife a pasteuriser last Christmas. This has enabled her to snaffle 50% of my output for drinking juice for her and my daughter, and what makes it worse is they have put all the bottles in my wine racking!

So, after I pasteurised 7 gallons of crab & cooking apple juice to blend with early eaters next year (and some of that will again be snaffled for drinking juice), gave away juice to people who donated windfalls, I was only left with about 50 galls to play with, which (looking behind me at all those 6 gall fermenters bubbling away) has gone about 50/50 on wine & cider, and I've made a dent in the cider already.

Some of that cider (which I am now starting to pasteurise - because I am back sweetening with sugar - & bottle) & wine (ready just before next years apple harvest) will be given to those who let me pick up approx 2,000 lbs of windfalls. The rest is mine!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 16:07 »
:evil: None for us then  :wink:

David.

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 16:19 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
None for us then

Do you have an orchard that needs 'tidying up' in Autumn?

There are just so many people that are really grateful if you take away all their windfalls (and buy a few apples from Waitrose) and remove dead limbs/trees (and buy a sack of logs at Christmas).

Didn't even need to advertise on Freecycle.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 16:40 »
Quote from: "David."
None for us then

Do you have an orchard that needs 'tidying up' in Autumn? .

:shock: In my 30 x 40 ft garden.... take pitty on a thirsty old Aunty  :roll:  :wink:

Scribbler

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 23:12 »
I could find my way there quite easily to help you drink it, but I'd never get back home again............ :shock:
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

David.

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 19:17 »
In my 30 x 40 ft garden.... take pitty on a thirsty old Aunty

That's precisely the area of my garden, although a different shape, and including the narrow side area beside the kitchen/G.F. bathroom extension you get on old Victorian semis. Not a vegetable, fruit or flower for cutting in it, just shed, greenhouse, hens and grassed area for my daughter. If my allotments were included, the orchards I glean, the hedgerows I pick fruit from, et.c, they would have put about £1,000,000 on the cost.

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 39 queries.