wooden pallets

• 215 Replies

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: wooden pallets
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2010, 19:43 »
I saw one house in the country who decided to make a pallet fence - he literally stood whole pallets on end, side by side, all around his property. Junky barely describes the effect  ::) It had to be a he as no woman would allow such an eyesore, at least, not one that wasn't taken apart, pieced neatly and painted.

:lol: I suppose it was strong against the wind though! ::) Why can I nearly always see both sides of an "argument"? It can be maddening!

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

evie2

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2010, 21:38 »
That's because you come from the sunniest place in the UK during August 2010 :D :D :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2010, 10:42 »
That's because you come from the sunniest place in the UK during August 2010 :D :D :D

Well according to the weather stats on August..... :wub:

st0ne5ish

Re: pallets
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2010, 16:04 »
Drove around the local industrial estate and collected 5 wooden pallets, lugged them to my plot in preparation for compost bin building, hopefully will get another 5 tomorrow, enough to make 3 bins.

Do people with these treat them or are they normally already treated?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 18:10 by mumofstig »

noshed

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2010, 22:48 »
I don't think they are treated. They take about 5 years to rot - just replace them
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Nige2Plots

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2010, 12:47 »
They are just normally untreated wood, some are painted for identification purposes. As noshed says just replace them or treat them yourself!

Nige2Plots

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2010, 17:18 »
Drove around the local industrial estate and collected 5 wooden pallets, lugged them to my plot in preparation for compost bin building, hopefully will get another 5 tomorrow, enough to make 3 bins.

Did you get the others?

st0ne5ish

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2010, 21:14 »

Did you get the others?

I had a check but nothing was out, I also asked in a few other places but they had already put theirs aside for big bonfires, might have to wait till bonfire night is done.

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2010, 22:24 »
I've never paid for pallets - most smallish companies are only too keen to have you take them away - it saves them money. I always imagined that large companies would say no - probably quoting some imaginary health and safety rule!

I think if you take something from a skip you aren't actually stealing from the person that chucked it in but the skip hire company. I think there was a legal case some time ago that clarified it. But I do take things from skips from time to time - I am still using a plate rack I liberated about 10 years ago from a outside a  8 storey block of flats.
My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

fengirl

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2010, 10:31 »
I learned a couple of things -

• There isn't  a standard size for palets - they come in all different sizes

There is a standard size "Euro" pallet, which is 1.2m to fit standard 90cm pallet racking. You'll rarely get them for free, as warehouses buy them in bulk, so recycling places pay decent money for them. Other sizes are pretty much worthless and companies like the one I work for can't get rid of them quick enough. We've always got a huge pile we'll happily give away to anyone who asks.

Hi there, I am after free/cheap pallets  would it be possible for you to PM me with the name of the place you work I live in the ely area. As you said "we've always got a huge pile well happily give away to anyone who asks" .  
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 18:03 by Yorkie »

fengirl

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2010, 14:14 »
There is a standard size "Euro" pallet, which is 1.2m to fit standard 90cm pallet racking. You'll rarely get them for free, as warehouses buy them in bulk, so recycling places pay decent money for them. Other sizes are pretty much worthless and companies like the one I work for can't get rid of them quick enough. We've always got a huge pile we'll happily give away to anyone who asks.

thankyou for getting back to me I cannot PM you back until I have 10 posts. and I have only just joined. If you have some pallets available where you said. I would be very interested. but I don't know how to give you my email address or anything. As I would also need your firms permission if anyone asked me.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 14:55 by mumofstig »

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2010, 18:36 »
If I go "scrounging" (kleftiwallah by name ditto by nature)  :blush: and get something well below the price I was prepared to pay (mafish foloose), I normally return with a jar of home-made jam, pickle chutney or bottle of wine. (I make 'em all), it always helps should you need to go back for something else.  ::)  Cheers,   :) Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2010, 21:35 »
We must be lucky, the company next door to the plots puts all his against our gate!
And the local scap yard brings us a fork lift full of really substantial pallets every so often! :)
All the broken ones are used for starting bonfires1

Benandbill

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2010, 06:23 »
We have a pallet on the half plot we've inherited.  Being new to this game, I've had a crack at taking it apaart to make beds / bin etc but have only succeeded in splitting the wood.  I've tried it with a claw hammer and by getting a spade between the joins but nothing seems to work.  What's the quickest and safest way of taking one apart?  Do you need a crow bar or something?

savbo

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2010, 08:15 »
I splashed out on a fancy wrecking bar and still found it hard...it was on here I saw the tip of hammering the nails IN rather than trying to pull them out...

xx
Wooden Pallets

Started by Chris Toker on Frugal Living

10 Replies
Last post July 18, 2008, 09:59
by Code Numpty
xx
more pallets

Started by doctorangler on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 18:42
by arugula
xx
Anyone know where I can get some pallets from?

Started by mandycharlie on Frugal Living

13 Replies
Last post February 25, 2007, 19:28
by muntjac
clip
Pallets-R-Us...

Started by Growster... on Frugal Living

7 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 10:39
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 41 queries.