wooden pallets

• 215 Replies

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: wooden pallets
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 19:01 »
There's usually lots around that are free, and using them for fencing sounds a great idea

(and sheds, and compost bins, and greenhouse staging and chairs and benches and shuttering around concrete being layed... etc ect etc  :lol: :lol: :lol: )

and our wood chip on the plot is, yes you've guessed: chipped pallets  :D :D :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

evie2

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 20:04 »
we went down to the local small family run builders and brought back 6 :D they were delighted to get rid of them and they're putting 10 out for us tomorrow :D they're in great condition and we can have as many as we want any time :D when we've finished making runs any broken ones will be used for compost bins and raised beds :D

Thanks everyone for suggesting places to find free pallets :D :D :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 08:15 »
That sounds excellent  :D :D :D

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 10:23 »
we went down to the local small family run builders and brought back 6 :D they were delighted to get rid of them and they're putting 10 out for us tomorrow :D they're in great condition and we can have as many as we want any time :D when we've finished making runs any broken ones will be used for compost bins and raised beds :D

Thanks everyone for suggesting places to find free pallets :D :D :D

That's a result then Evie! :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

old hooky

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 22:26 »
This is a subject that is currently bugging me! I have asked every garden centre, DIY store, even a local building site to see if the pallets lying around, usually in some kind of heap that looks like they are awaiting Guy Fawkes night, and I have had the same answer, NO!, even the pallets that are not painted blue apparently have a deposit on them, at least where I live, I desperately need to construct a compost bin, or bins, seriously thinking about taking the roof off my 60 year old shed and using that, Any ideas anyone? please? 

Plot18

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 22:44 »
This is a subject that is currently bugging me! I have asked every garden centre, DIY store, even a local building site to see if the pallets lying around, usually in some kind of heap that looks like they are awaiting Guy Fawkes night, and I have had the same answer, NO!, even the pallets that are not painted blue apparently have a deposit on them, at least where I live, I desperately need to construct a compost bin, or bins, seriously thinking about taking the roof off my 60 year old shed and using that, Any ideas anyone? please? 

I use a local wood recycling company for all my bits, did a bit of a search and found http://www.oxfordwoodrecycling.org.uk/

Might be worth giving them a call?

yamandmole

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 23:26 »
Freecycle/Freegle is always a good source of pallets. Alternatively, try your local hospital (I work for one). If they have their own stores, there will inevitably be a large supply of unwanted pallets lying around. A polite request is usually all it takes........ A lot of hospitals are allegedly refusing to accept deliveries on wooden pallets in the name of environmental friendliness, but it ain't working!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 12:47 by yamandmole »
Once a moley, always a moley.........

evie2

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 09:37 »
We go to a skip yard sometimes to get bits of wood (last year we got some old gardening tools too) but when OH and son went on Tues they said there was a lot less wood than usual, the chap told them loads of people come for wood for their wood burners.

I've also been told there's a place round here that is buying pallets at £8 each :( I'm glad I've found my supplier  : :D

noshed

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 09:48 »
Plumbers merchants are a good source of big pallets
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

madcat

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2010, 15:22 »

Try the trading estates - and ask for broken pallets.  They usually only have one bar broken - not a problem for a compost heap - but they cant get the deposit back on them, so are much happier to give them away.

We go to a skip yard sometimes to get bits of wood (last year we got some old gardening tools too) but when OH and son went on Tues they said there was a lot less wood than usual, the chap told them loads of people come for wood for their wood burners.

I heard that during the week from a guy involved with a skip company ... they don't get anything like as much waste wood in now as they did a year or two back.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

ian.ford

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 14:52 »
I got hold of 3 large crates (1 metre cubed) from Wyevale free of charge and then cut them down into shallow raised beds which gave me 9 in total and then i fixed pallets to the bottomsand then i made apex lids covered in polythene and i have done all my growing in them this year. No weeding or bugs and i managed to start very early in the year and everything has been very successful.
You need to speak to the guys who are outside clearing the grounds and catch them whem they are skipping everything. It worked for me.

Skorps

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2010, 20:48 »
We always find them in skips!!
xXx

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2010, 20:57 »
We always find them in skips!!
xXx

Just make sure you ask the skip owner's permission before you remove them, or you are committing theft  :(
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

evie2

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2010, 21:16 »
we've used our pallets to fence the chooks in the old veg plot, make a mini run for the poots, a stand for the rabbit hutch, compost bins, raised beds and a fence :D

I love recycling  :D :D :D

Trillium

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2010, 15:06 »
I saw one house in the country who decided to make a pallet fence - he literally stood whole pallets on end, side by side, all around his property. Junky barely describes the effect  ::) It had to be a he as no woman would allow such an eyesore, at least, not one that wasn't taken apart, pieced neatly and painted.

xx
Wooden Pallets

Started by Chris Toker on Frugal Living

10 Replies
Last post July 18, 2008, 09:59
by Code Numpty
xx
more pallets

Started by doctorangler on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 18:42
by arugula
xx
Anyone know where I can get some pallets from?

Started by mandycharlie on Frugal Living

13 Replies
Last post February 25, 2007, 19:28
by muntjac
clip
Pallets-R-Us...

Started by Growster... on Frugal Living

7 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 10:39
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 38 queries.