Liquid plant food

• 5 Replies

Jirble

Liquid plant food
« on: April 07, 2015, 00:05 »
Hi all. I found a bottle of liquid plant food that I'd hardly used and it's about a year old. When I opened it today I took a sniff (don't ask, apparently I'm always smelling things!) and nearly burned my nostrils off by a strong smell of ammonia! The thing is, I don't remember it having such a smell when I first used it. It was a cheap brand and I could throw it away but that's still wasteful. 
Is that normal or am I inadvertently taking the first steps in Alchemy?  :unsure:

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Liquid plant food
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 08:56 »
Was is sold as an 'organic' product?

Inorganic mixtures ought to be reasonably stable, and even organic ones probably wouldn't break down into anything actually dangerous, although the ammonia smell is of course your nitrogen content being lost into the atmosphere.

Given that it was cheap, I'd bin it and buy a powdered liquid feed - OK, you have to make up the solution yourself, but presumably you have to dilute yours before use anyway. Powdered liquid feeds usually work out quite cheap, especially if you go for one of the 'own brand' versions.

Best to check the NPK analysis to make sure it's suitable for what you want to use it for - some of them are incredibly high in nitrogen.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Jirble

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 01:00 »
Hello Jay, thanks for your reply. It's a dilutable Doff product for general use rated at 3.5-3.5-3.5. Is that good?  I'm better at pronouncing the chemicals than understanding their exact uses (joined this site for tips from you guys) so please excuse my ignorance lol.  Could it simply be that it hasn't been opened for a while? The bottle was stored in a cupboard near a radiator so it would have got slightly warm, so perhaps that contributed.

LotuSeed

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 02:25 »
Is this the product you're talking about? I noticed that the person that reviewed it said that it had little to no smell at all.
http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/garden-chemicals/doff-sma00svr-concentrated-multi-purpose-feed/#/sort/price/dir/asc

Perhaps yours has gone off?
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 08:20 »
Could well be that one Lotuseed, although Jirble will doubtless know for sure!  ;)

Cant find the Safety Data Sheet for that product, although their liquid tomato fertiliser is said to have an 'ammoniacal' odour, so I suppose there's a good chance that the general purpose one does too.

Not a good idea to store any liquid fertiliser either in a very warm or very light place (even Miracle grow granules fade in sunlight, although why they are blue to start off with is anyone's guess.)

At 3.5:3.5:3.5 it's a balanced fertiliser, which would be 'OK' for everything, but not ideal for some - leafy plants would benefit from higher nitrogen, flowering plants from higher potassium, for instance.

As I said before, it's unlikely to have degraded in such a way that it would actually damage anything you used it on, but if you're sure the ammonia smell is greater now than before it could well be that it won't be as effective as it should be.

Jirble

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 13:10 »
LotuSeed: yes that's the one! I'm almost certain it had little or no smell when I first bought it.
JayG: moved house last year so it somehow got put in that cupboard by mistake. I was about to throw it away.

Thanks a lot for your help. Much appreciated :)

xx
Indoor Plant Food

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post January 16, 2020, 12:23
by mrs bouquet
xx
That Magic Liquid (2 p or not 2 p)!

Started by omits on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 14, 2023, 10:19
by Goosegirl
xx
liquid seaweed foliar spray

Started by CattinJ on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 03, 2011, 17:11
by Goosegirl
xx
Composting cooked food

Started by celjaci on General Gardening

16 Replies
Last post May 04, 2009, 22:37
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 37 queries.