• 24 Replies

Flowertot

Re: Time to split snowdrops?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 22:50 »
Ah.. simples!  :) thanks

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2015, 20:39 »
Thanks for interesting comments. Clearly need to check out the range of snowdrops available in future.

Cheers HH
Keep digging

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2015, 10:12 »
Clearly need to check out the range of snowdrops available in future.

My view is that if you want to plant some snowdrops in, say, a woodland walk than just plant the bog standard, and cheap, Galanthus nivalis.  I planted quite a few doubles (G. flore pleno) thinking they would add interest ... when you walk through the woodland now you couldn't spot which was which.  Same would be true of my "fancy" ones, you'd have tog et down on your hands and knees to actually see how they differed.

There are a couple of exceptions:

Early (or late) varieties. Obviously they extend the flowering season.

Tall ones.  Although is is obviously easier to see that they are taller :D I'm not sure they make any difference to a walk-through-the-woods.

For me the fancy ones are as a collection, and if we have friends round for a meal I can put a little vase next to each place setting with a different looking type of snowdrop flower.  But its just showing off ... no horticultural merit that I can think of!!

Mrs Bee

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2015, 10:33 »
When I went on the snowdrop walk at Anglesea Abbey they had some Augustus or Melanie Broughton planted in with the Galanthus Nivalis and you could see the difference because they had fat, chunky flowers.

Although I don't think you could tell the difference from a distance.

I am surprised you cut the snowdrops and bring them into the house Kristen, there is superstition that you bring death into the house if you bring cut snowdrops inside. :D :D  I am not taking any chances at my age. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2015, 11:05 »
All sorts of superstitions about cut flowers in the house ... Lilac too, but I cut that for the house - it looks lovely in a vase and not much else going on colour wise at that time.

Aconites in a vase far more deadly, literally! than Snowdrops.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2015, 11:21 »
All sorts of superstitions about cut flowers in the house ... Lilac too, but I cut that for the house - it looks lovely in a vase and not much else going on colour wise at that time.

Aconites in a vase far more deadly, literally! than Snowdrops.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

chrissie B

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 08:33 »
Ive never seen snowdrops in pots only bulbs , i will have to split mine never done that as they have been a bit puny except this year .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 10:24 »
Ive never seen snowdrops in pots only bulbs

To buy?  Just for info: Snowdrops hate to dry out, so buying a bag of Snowdrops bulbs in a bag hanging on a rack in the garden centre is almost bound to fail, sadly.

I have seen pots for sale, but the price is ridiculous (compared to buying bulbs, its probably not outrageous for a 1L pot of "something")

Best is to buy them "in the green" which is about now.  They will come with bulb, leaf and roots [but, as it were, "bare root"] and need to be planting promptly. For Fancy Ones, costing £plenty!, they usually come in-flower so that the buyer is reassured that they are getting what they ordered.  That's fine, even as a lose bulb, given that Snowdrops are happy to be divided and planted at that time. Can't think of many other plants that would be happy with root disturbance and being shipped bare-root whilst in flower :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 10:25 by Kristen »

Bohobumble

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Bucks allotment. Heavy clay. Hardiness zone 8a. Ave last frost 1st-10th Apr. First Frost 1st-10th Nov
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2015, 11:31 »
We've  not split the ones under the apple tree in the last few years and they look like they need it, thanks for the reminder, I will do that when OH isn't looking and take spares down to the plot!

chrissie B

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2015, 08:52 »
I bought mine as bulbs , the first yearcwas poor but they are lovley now and the leaves are realy glossy , ive just split mine and they look like healthy bulbs .
chrissie b

xx
How to split this plant.

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post September 11, 2019, 18:05
by mrs bouquet
xx
Can I split Begonias

Started by chrisnchris on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post August 31, 2011, 09:12
by chrisnchris
xx
Tulip bulbs split into four? something wrong?

Started by LivvyW on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post July 02, 2009, 07:48
by sunshineband
xx
Crack willow split and branches falling

Started by veggirl on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 09:08
by joyfull

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 39 queries.