Poor tom results

• 15 Replies

A Reyt Tayty

Poor tom results
« on: April 21, 2012, 09:06 »
Last year sowed all my toms in the unheated greeenhouse, and they did ok. Slow to get going, but ok. This year, Ive done some in the house as well to compare results. The ones in the house got off well, but have come to a halt just after forming the first true leaves. The greenhouse ones are only just beggining to show. Garden pearl, gardeners delight, moneymaker, golden sunrise.

These were all done from saved seed from last year. Could I have done something wrong? I did the fermentation bit, thorough rinse, dried out properly. Stored in little paper envelopes in a drawer in the kitchen. Seeds all looked healthy enough.

Any clues?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Poor tom results
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 09:24 »
The fact that they've germinated means there was nothing wrong with the seed saving  ;)
 Your growing conditions must be different to last year ;) it's been colder maybe this year?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 09:33 »
My greenhouse seeds took ages to show.  Like MoS said, it has been cold then we had that bit of warmth, but it didn't help my toms.

However, coming back from 5 days away, they are doing well.

My little chilli seedlings are still tiny though, but healthy.

I think sometimes we watch them too closely!  You know the old saying, a watched pot never boils!!   ;)

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 09:56 »
I germinated by toms inside, as soon as they sprouted I put them in an unheated grow house since then the seed leaves have got a little bigger, the stem has got bigger and darkened but that is about it in about 3 weeks, no other leaves have developed yet but they all look strong and healthy, maybe they do not grow as quick as I thought they did.........

I have had chilli seeds in a propagator on a windowsill for the last 4 weeks and only over the last couple of days have they sprouted, 3 so far :)

boogaloo

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 10:06 »
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but I think I'm about to give up on my tom plants also. I planted them far too early and they look very thin to me...

I'll only have space in the garden for 3 tomato plants and I do want a decent crop if possible. Would people suggest that I give up on these ones and get some from the local GC? Have a fairly short growing season here in Scotland so I need a healthy plant.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 10:20 »
I germinated by toms inside, as soon as they sprouted I put them in an unheated grow house since then the seed leaves have got a little bigger, the stem has got bigger and darkened but that is about it in about 3 weeks, no other leaves have developed yet but they all look strong and healthy, maybe they do not grow as quick as I thought they did.........
That's because you have grown them colder than they would like  :( They may not recover, you may be lucky...who knows  :unsure: Normally tomatoes don't go outside, even into a greenhouse until after the last frosts. Some people do manage to put them out earlier but it usually invoves extra protection eg fleece or another polycover or heating enough to keep them above 10C at night.

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 10:24 »
That's because you have grown them colder than they would like  :( They may not recover, you may be lucky...who knows  :unsure: Normally tomatoes don't go outside, even into a greenhouse until after the last frosts. Some people do manage to put them out earlier but it usually invoves extra protection eg fleece or another polycover or heating enough to keep them above 10C at night.

Hi MoS and thanks for replying :)

We did have 1 very very mid frost a few weeks ago, funnily enough I think it was a day or 2 after I put the darn things in the grow house! Since then I have been keeping an eye on the temp inside and it has stayed above 10 degrees, well at least it has when I have been checking......mmm there is a flaw in that plan isn't there!

I will get some more going today just in case, I want a bountiful crop of toms this year so I suppose it will be better to have too many rather than not enough plants.

Shall I just leave these ones in the grow house and see how they go?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 10:26 »
I'll only have space in the garden for 3 tomato plants and I do want a decent crop if possible. Would people suggest that I give up on these ones and get some from the local GC? Have a fairly short growing season here in Scotland so I need a healthy plant.

Are they all the same variety? - if so some appear to be sturdier and less leggy than the others.

I'm a big fan of "hedging my bets" given the unpredicatable weather of the last few years - I don't suppose you will be putting them outside until early June where you are so you could ditch the leggiest ones now and sow a few more as back-ups.

If you are only going to plant 3 out, when the time comes you will then have a choice (and further back-ups if required.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 10:28 »
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but I think I'm about to give up on my tom plants also. I planted them far too early and they look very thin to me...

Take off the top 6/8 inches of the growing tops and root them, either in a glass of water or a small pot. They root fairly quickly and then you will have nice short plants to carry on with. It sounds absurd but does usually work just fine  ;)

jrko

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 10:54 »
I heard recently (and cant remember where - Beechgrove maybe?) that if you leave your seedlings in seed compost they'll germinate and not do much afterwards.  Thats because its only designed to get the seeds to germinate and doesn't provide what bigger plants need.  They should be moved on to growing compost fairly quickly for best growth.

Might that be the problem?
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 11:05 »
I heard recently (and cant remember where - Beechgrove maybe?) that if you leave your seedlings in seed compost they'll germinate and not do much afterwards.  Thats because its only designed to get the seeds to germinate and doesn't provide what bigger plants need.  They should be moved on to growing compost fairly quickly for best growth.

Might that be the problem?

ah ahhhhhhhh you know what you might be onto something there :) Monty the Don said the same thing on Gardeners World last night............

I will still get some fresh seed germinating but the current seedling are in Westland seed compost and it does say on the bag that it has enough food for the first 3 weeks so I will re-pot them into Clover and see what happens :)

boogaloo

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 12:08 »
Thanks Jay and MoS for the replies. I've just attacked my poor plants with a pair of scissors and popped the tops in some pots. Fingers crossed!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 15:33 »
Thanks Jay and MoS for the replies. I've just attacked my poor plants with a pair of scissors and popped the tops in some pots. Fingers crossed!

They will root really quickly  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 17:11 »
Well as a follow on from my previous post, typically I went out to the grow house thing this afternoon and every single tomato plant is now in the process of growing its proper leaves :) I shall have to moan about my veg seedlings more often :)

I am still going to sow some others I have about 5 different varieties this year some outdoor ones which I am looking forward to growing, oops still need to sow them..........

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 19:55 »

They will root really quickly  :D

Last year, I potted up some of ther shoots I nipped out of a garden centre bought golden sunrise. The plants from the shoots made better plants than the parent plant!

Back to my plants: the seed leaves  are dying off as soon as the true leaves start to form. My neighbour's plants are about 8" high and the seed leaves are quite large and very healthy. Me is stumped.

clip
Experimental strawberry bed - poor results

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 23, 2017, 22:30
by candygold1
xx
THE RESULTS ARE IN!

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 27, 2007, 08:24
by celtbhoy
xx
Results

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post August 16, 2006, 15:42
by Oliver
xx
Chili results.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 25, 2022, 18:55
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 34 queries.