Water Rates Bill - Such a Miser

• 7 Replies

mrs bouquet

Water Rates Bill - Such a Miser
« on: October 29, 2018, 16:11 »
Its just arrived and I must say I was dreading it, although I was very thrifty with using water this summer.

From the 4th April to 20th October I used average 60 litres a day.  Same months last year I had used 79.  The bill is £74.39   Apparently the average 1 person household typically uses 178 litres each day  :ohmy:
So I am give myself a big pat on the back, and am now still using the bowl, instead of the sink.

OMG  I am such a miser.   I have been laughing at myself today.  All summer I kept the blinds and curtains closed to keep the heat out, now they are all closed to keep the heat in,   that doesn't go on 'til 4.30 and its only on 18c.    :lol: :lol:  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Pescador

Re: Water Rates Bill - Such a Miser
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 17:59 »
That's very posh, not using the sink!
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

grinling

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 18:59 »
If you put the old water on the garden it would save you more

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 22:43 »
I did do that, every single drop was saved, even when running the taps to wait for the hot water to come through, the last dregs out of the kettle - you name some more please, I may not have thought of them yet !
I haven't found a way though, to saving raining water, there are no spaces under the outlets to put water butts.  I tried locating them a distant away, fixing up pipes etc - talk about Heath Robinson, it was more like Cape Carney  :lol: Mrs Bouquet

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 13:50 »
I'm sure there is something you can attach or insert into the roof drainage pipe that has a hose to divert the rainwater into a butt. As long as the butt is lower than the outlet it should work.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

arh

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 19:56 »
The only problem is that, (unless you go absolutely mad with the water), it doesn't save you any money. Well not if you are with Anglia Water it doesn't. I found this out the hard way about 7 years ago. To cut a long story short, after AW put in a meter at our last premises, I had a heart to heart talk with AW, and went on their "SoLow" tariff and reduced my water rates by over a third. The point is, (and they don't shout this), everyone has a basic limit, whether you are on a meter or not, now I forget what the "standard" tariff is, but it's a lot higher than 75 cu.m which is what we are on, (on the SoLow tariff). and unless you reach that limit that is what you pay. Ask your Water Provider what the minimum cu.m amount is, and if you can get a reduction if you don't use that much. I bet you cannot. This is why I have checked my meter reading every month for the last year to obtain an average use, so now I know how much I can put on the plot in times of drought, without going over my limit.

Veg Plot 1B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 08:40 »
Did a quick search and came up with this "Please be aware that we are currently phasing out this tariff. Since 1 April 2015 it has no longer been available to new applicants. "

arh

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 07:26 »
You are quite right Veg Plot 1B, it has said that for ages, every year I check as the bill comes in the post, and we're still on it, and yes no-one can join any more, but they haven't scrapped it yet for existing customers and I hope they don't but they will in time, (BECAUSE THEY LOSE MONEY WITH IT). I wasn't advocating joining it as I knew that it wasn't possible, I was just proving that AW have a minimum amount, and just because you are careful with the water doesn't mean that you will save money.

xx
Water Rates Bill

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post May 09, 2020, 12:09
by mrs bouquet
xx
The Bill for Water....

2 Replies
Last post April 16, 2019, 15:43
by mrs bouquet
xx
Energy Bill/Smart meters ?

3 Replies
Last post March 26, 2024, 10:19
by Lardman
xx
I need to put more water with it!!

Started by LILLILEAF on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post April 19, 2023, 09:00
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 46 queries.