Chicken Newbie

• 5 Replies

KCOOPER

Chicken Newbie
« on: April 09, 2013, 15:36 »
Hi all!

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but I am thinking of starting to keep chickens. Because of the cold weather up here I have reservations about them being warm enough. Will the cold affect the chickens or is it something I can combat with an enclosure for them. As I said, totally new to this so any basic information will help.

Ken

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Chicken Newbie
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 16:01 »
Hi and welcome, first of all where abouts are you? If you click on your name and go into your profile you can put your location in there and then any advise can be tailored to suit your location.
with regards to hens needing any extra warmth over winter then no they dont - they have their own feather duvets all around them - I even have some that sleep in the trees even when it is snowing  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 16:14 »
Hi Ken and welcome.
There are so many topics regarding first keeping hens you are better off asking specific questions eg what size coop and run? are they for pets, eggs, or meat? just ask and I'm sure we'll all chip in with answers. :D

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 20:02 »
Hi ken when i got my girls 9 months ago i was allways on here asking questions. This is a really good site for info and everyone is so helpfull. :)
Pull up a perch!!

KCOOPER

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 12:45 »
Hello all!

Sorry about not getting back, its been a busy time. After taking some advice from friends and finding this really good post http://witchhazelhens.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/winter-prep.html I decided to put a clear sheet over the run. I followed this person's instructions and advice and got hold of a sheet here http://www.qvsshop.co.uk/clear-tarpaulins-2729-p.asp. It seemed to keep the weather out nicely and warmed then pen up really well.

I am pleased to say it was pretty successful! The eggs really yummy, it feels really good to be able to be self sufficient in this area. You guys will know what that feels like  :) :)

Thanks

grinling

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 21:14 »
Hope it is down tight to stop it billowing in the wind. Hope there is enough ventilation if the chooks are not freeranging like hers as they might overheat as the cover does not give shade.

xx

Started by Rach80 on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post October 06, 2015, 12:41
by themagicaltoad1
xx
Hi from a newbie

Started by Kuikentje on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post May 03, 2013, 20:56
by ANHBUC
thumbup
Newbie and would just like to say thank you!

Started by freebirdy on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post September 19, 2011, 13:34
by matolli
smiley
Hello Everyone...Another Newbie here!!

Started by ShoeGirl on Chicken Chat

14 Replies
Last post October 09, 2010, 15:59
by feelingbroody

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 37 queries.