Grain brewing.

• 9 Replies

orfy

• Experienced Member
Grain brewing.
« on: August 19, 2008, 18:15 »
Does any one else make beer from Barley instead of using kits?

Swing Swang

Grain brewing.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 21:52 »
Used to brew a lot - full mash with malted grain - once tried there's no return - flavour so much better. I do suggest that you boil the wort at a good rolling boil for a good 45mins until you get the 'protein break' and choose an appropriate strain of yeast as these also have a huge influence on the final product too.

I bought a second hand stainless steel catering pan of 20 gal capacity. It just fitted over all four burners on a domestic stove. Took 20min to bring 7gal (my batch size) to the boil from the mash tun!

Control mash temperature too as different enzymes are brought into play. Be meticulous and take notes. As you'll want to be able to replicate a particularly good brew.

From memory I found that 'Fly mashing' was just as good as mashing and sparging (any decent book will tell you what's meant - I've found that the ones by Le Pansee were particularly good - sorry if the spelling is incorrect, but I last did this over ten years ago) so this keeps equipment costs down.

After about four or five goes you'll be able to produce a quality brew as good as anything you'll dring at a real ale festival.

Enjoy

Regards,

SS

orfy

• Experienced Member
Grain brewing.
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 18:45 »
Thanks SS.

I already have many under my belt and compose my own recipes.
I boil for at least 60 minutes and batch sparge.

I know what you mean about the flavour. I have 80 pints fermenting at present.

rawbinood

Grain brewing.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 15:05 »
Iv brewed 3 or 4 all grain batches. Wheat beers and a Lowenbrau clone. I mash for about an hour at around 65 C, strain then boil for an hour with hops.

I started home brewing by modding kits, adding extra hops and malt. I still use kits since I only have a 3 gallon brew pot. :)

orfy

• Experienced Member
Grain brewing.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 20:55 »
I use a converted keg for boiling.

Swing Swang

Grain brewing.
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 23:13 »
Great micro-brewery, like the converted keg-boiler.
Since reading your last post I've tried to find my brewing diaries - have got a horrible feeling that they went AWOL in the move.
I do like the effect of about 20% crystal malt in the mash.
Have you brewed with your own hops? I guess that going straight from 'bine to buck' would give a lot of aroma as fewer volatile compounds would be lost during processing. Your thoughts or experience sought with interest.
SS

orfy

• Experienced Member
Grain brewing.
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 06:37 »
Thanks.

I have a gas fired boiling keggle and a electric Lauter tun.

Yes I have a couple of hop plants, variety unknown so I just throw them in at flame out to add to aroma. They obviously have an unknown AA content so are unreliable for bittering.

My stock grain is maris otter then I use crystal, chocolate and a little black if required.
I also have Cara pils to help with the head and a little munich malt.

I have a few of good clone recipes Boddington's, Hob Goblin and Old speckeled hen.

Clampit

Grain brewing.
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 06:42 »
I have brewed from the grain for years, had some cracking beers. My best investment were the corneilieus kegs which you can pressurise from a large bottle of CO2.
Have you tried 'Jim's homebrew forum'? It's an excellent source of information.
In fact, are you the same Orfy that posted a hobgoblin recipe on there?

Old Whiskers

Grain brewing.
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 00:55 »
For "everyday" drinking I make a standard 5 gallon brew once a month from: 4lbs dried malt extract; 8ozs cracked crystal; 1lb barbados sugar; 1lb golden syrup; 1lb honey and 4ozs hops (usually fuggles, goldings or N. brewer).  I know it's not a recipe for the real purist, but it's quick and dead easy to make - and it produces a strong, tasty brew that's miles ahead of pub beer!  :drunken: And it enables me to keep my paws off my special brews long enough for them to mature! :cheers:

SkipRat

Grain brewing.
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 21:57 »
I also brew beer using All Grain, once you have brewed your first brew you will never go back to kit form. I have 6 cornie kegs most are full or awaiting to be filled for Christmas (nearly 200 pints)with a full gas system.
A lot of my equipment was homemade (HLT, Mashtun, Grainfilter, and hop filter, and Wort chiller). Jims Homebrew page is a very good site to pickup tips recipe,s etc.
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

xx
New to brewing so?

Started by Russell Atterbury on Homebrew

9 Replies
Last post August 16, 2020, 22:50
by James frond
xx
What's brewing

Started by Baldy on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post August 18, 2015, 00:32
by fallen angel
xx
A brewing day.

Started by fallen angel on Homebrew

14 Replies
Last post March 10, 2016, 14:46
by grinling
xx
new to brewing

Started by sizer247 on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post February 06, 2011, 20:41
by Silkworm

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 38 queries.