Crop rotation Onions & Roots

• 17 Replies

snails2go

• Newbie Grower - so much to learn!
Crop rotation Onions & Roots
« on: November 30, 2011, 20:00 »
I now have 4 smallish (4ft x 6ft) beds in my garden, which I've planned to put...

1. Roots
2. Peas and Beans
3. Brassicas
4. Onions/Garlic

Potatoes will go in bags dotted around.

I've read all the advice re crop rotation and just ensuring that the same family isn't planted in the same bed for a couple of years.  But, in most plans the onions and roots seem to share a bed.  Is there anything in particular I should be aware of ready for next year when in my plan the roots will follow the onions?

The Garlic and onions are already planted in new bed 4 - so no chance of moving them now.  3 is a newly dug (empty) bed, 2 had potatoes and some roots in last year and 1 had peas and a kale plant!

It's all so confusing! :blink:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Crop rotation Onions & Roots
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 20:28 »
Often brassicas follow peas and beans --- have I read you plan correctly as they look the other way around.

and if you have either onions following roots or vice versa then it should work just fine  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

snails2go

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 20:37 »
Thanks sunshine band (sigh of relief) and yes the brassicas will follow the peas... so next year I should have:

1. Peas and Beans
2. Brassicas
3. Onions/Garlic
4. Roots

- think i'll paint arrows on my raised yes so I remember which crop moves where next year :-)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 21:15 »
I have several drawings of my plot and i write in from year to year what is going where. I even add on where I have put compost, lime etc so I donlt forget

Sad but true --- I keep a cop pinned inside my shed  :lol:

Whereabouts are you near Reading then?

Wondered if you are near me  :unsure:

snails2go

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 21:54 »
Started a note book (ignoring heckling from the family!!)

I'm in Crowthorne ... just a few raised beds in the garden at the moment and a complete novice - but now wondering about chickens and maybe 6 years on the allotment list

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 22:04 »
I think my crop rotation goes the 'wrong' way round but I've never let it bother me too much!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

seedman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 07:09 »
Sounds like your doing ok the note book right idea, as to the 6 yr wait for an allotment have you had a word with the allotment Secretary there may be someone who may be thinking of giving up half their plot as its become to much for them but may be interested in someone helping them  for a share in the veg  :)
Give me a sense of humor, Lord,
Give me the grace to see a joke,
To get some humour out of life,
And pass it on to other folk.
Happy new year to you all xx

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 07:21 »
I amnot usre that trying to shrt cu the allotment waiting list is a good idea really, seedman, as some people will be upset.

My advice would be to put your name down on the list for everysite you can get to within reason, snails, as then at least you are moving in the right direction. Sometimes things progress more quickly, but if you are not on the list, well.........

I know Crowthorne a bit -- we have friends who live in Brookers Row  :D

(I also know that the allotments are managed by the Town Council, not Wokingham Borough.

Waiting list is 4-5 yrs now not 6, so you are already better off. Get your name down before the end of year vacant plots are given out and you will go up a fair bit!

No excuse now!!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 07:34 by sunshineband »

seedman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 09:40 »
Sorry Sunshineband i may not have been very clear in the wording i was not telling her to short cut the list as her name would not be on the agreement she would still have to put her name down as i agree with you it would be unfair to the others on the list .what i meant it would give her  some experience while she waited, she may find she does not have to wait so long as others drop of the list due to moving or waiting so long  :)  
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 15:16 by seedman »

snails2go

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 14:49 »
Thanks for the advice - will get on with joining a list (or two!).  As a beginner, maybe helping out on a plot wouldn't be a bad idea.  Oh, and just for clarity I'm a "her" not a "him"  :blush:

seedman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 15:17 »
Thanks for the advice - will get on with joining a list (or two!).  As a beginner, maybe helping out on a plot wouldn't be a bad idea.  Oh, and just for clarity I'm a "her" not a "him"  :blush:
sorry redone with her  :) :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 18:31 »
Sorry Sunshineband i may not have been very clear in the wording i was not telling her to short cut the list as her name would not be on the agreement she would still have to put her name down as i agree with you it would be unfair to the others on the list .what i meant it would give her  some experience while she waited, she may find she does not have to wait so long as others drop of the list due to moving or waiting so long  :)  

I know what you're trying to say, seedman, but the net effect is that it would be unfair to others on the list because the original tenant would then not give up the half plot officially, so the people at the top of the list don't get the chance at that plot.

seedman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 18:56 »

I know what you're trying to say, seedman, but the net effect is that it would be unfair to others on the list because the original tenant would then not give up the half plot officially, so the people at the top of the list don't get the chance at that plot.

Yes fair comment Yorkie

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 20:53 »

Yes fair comment Yorkie

Thanks for the extra explanation though, Seedman  :)

So have you put your name on the list yet, snails ????????

snails2go

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 12:39 »
Not yet - but I do now have a contact telephone number for "the man in the know"  :blink:

xx
Where do shallots and onions fit into crop rotation?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 05, 2012, 13:46
by JayG
xx
crop rotation

Started by wayne170534 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 27, 2011, 18:25
by Ian_A
xx
Crop rotation

Started by rogertb on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 19, 2014, 07:11
by rogertb
xx
Crop rotation

Started by Jaynel on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 21, 2015, 15:46
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 34 queries.