Peas

• 8 Replies

fatbelly

Peas
« on: October 26, 2010, 09:40 »
I know it is early to be discussing crops for next year but I am currently planning out my plot and I am deciding what to grow.

Yet again this year most my p[ea crop failed to germinate.  :mad: :mad: :mad: This is the second year in succession. I used Kelvedon Wonder seeds that were bought from Wilkos.

Out of about 600 seeds sown only 18 plants made it above ground, which makes me think the mice or something got at them underground. What can I do for next year, someone on our site said I should soak the seed in paraffin to deter the mice.

The annoying thing is that a guy on our site sows marrowfat peas out of a 99p box from poundsaver each year and has fantastic germination and crops . Although I am told the peas won't be as tasty as proper seed.

Any advice would be gratefully received , particularly about protecting the seed from the mice et al.

Thanks FB.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 09:43 by fatbelly »
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Peas
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 09:58 »
I've read mixed reports about the paraffin technique  :(

Some people use a length of guttering at home to germinate the peas, then take it down to the lotty , dig a gutter-shaped trench and slide the peas from the guttering into the trench.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

fatbelly

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 10:01 »
Thanks for the reply Yorkie, the gutter thing sounds good but the problem is my Lottie is two miles from home and our car is small.

Fisherman

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 10:20 »
Try starting them off under a cloche that's well fixed down at the side to deter the mice. I known they could chew through the plastic but they would have to work that out first by which time hopefully your peas will have germinated. The additional benefit would be that they are protected from the birds and also that the germination rates should be higher due to the warmer conditions. Best to put your cloche in place a couple of weeks before sowing in order to warm up the soil. Once the seeds have germinated and grown a couple of inches the cloche can be removed. Keep an eye out for Alkathene water pipe to use as the cloche hoops and any cheap plastic sheeting.

Debz

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 11:06 »
I have to start mine in pots.  It's a bit of a nuisance but it's either that or no peas.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 11:20 »
I sow mine direct and cover with fleece until after germination :)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 12:19 »
If you have access to gorse bushes, get loads of spiky clippings and encircle your pea seeds with these.  Mice don't like pricked noses!  :D  Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 12:44 »
Peas can be very fickle when it comes to germination. The main enemy is rotting due to being too wet. Never water them after sowing. Pray that there is not heavy rain before they germinate. The worst combination is cold soil and wet. Cloches help. Do not be in a hurry to get them in early.

If mice are stealing your peas you will see where they dig down. Several break back mouse traps set before you sow will do a good job. Place them under boxes with a brick on top to stop birds and cats being harmed. Bait with mars bar or chips. They will find their way under the edges. Or you can get multi catch live traps which allow you to free them a long way away.

An old gardener showed me how to sow peas.
Draw out a shallow drill with a hoe about 2 inches deep and 6 inches wide. Sprinkle peas about 3 inches apart.
With the back of a spade pat the seeds firmly into the bottom of the drill so that they have good soil contact.
Cover with loose soil and firm down gently with the back of a rake.

fatbelly

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 12:51 »
Quote from: Salmo link=topic=67087.msg 767306#msg 767306 date=1288093454
Peas can be very fickle when it comes to germination. The main enemy is rotting due to being too wet. Never water them after sowing . Pray that there is not heavy rain before they germinate. The worst combination is cold soil and wet. Cloches help. Do not be in a hurry to get them in early.

If mice are stealing your peas you will see where they dig down. Several break back mouse traps set before you sow will do a good job. Place them under boxes with a brick on top to stop birds and cats being harmed. Bait with mars bar or chips. They will find their way under the edges. Or you can get multi catch live traps which allow you to free them a long way away.

An old gardener showed me how to sow peas.
Draw out a shallow drill with a hoe about 2 inches deep and 6 inches wide. Sprinkle peas about 3 inches apart.
With the back of a spade pat the seeds firmly into the bottom of the drill so that they have good soil contact.
Cover with loose soil and firm down gently with the back of a rake.

Sal, is this correct never water them after sowing?
It seems to go against everything I thought about sowing seeds where you always water them in.

Thanks FB

question
Hurst greenshaft peas Support required (me and the peas)

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 17:46
by Twood
xx
sweet peas garden peas

Started by potherb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2018, 17:00
by sunshineband
xx
peas

Started by JJ on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 04, 2010, 22:06
by sunshineband
xx
Peas

Started by Linda8 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 25, 2012, 17:17
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.397 seconds with 40 queries.