permanent bed or rotation for onions

• 8 Replies

sloworm

• Experienced Member
permanent bed or rotation for onions
« on: June 27, 2009, 14:25 »
Hi all,
I have been reading the threads about failed onions, mine are rather pathetic specimens - little growth and yellow leaves, i have put this down to lack of experience, planting late and very little rain - (all the watering has to be done with water carried to the plot) !!

My question is would it be worth while dedicating a bed to onions on a permanent basis or continue with my planned 4 year rotation? I have a north facing sloping plot with reasonable soil, when clearing is complete I will have 4 beds 3.5 x 2.5 meters and 3 beds about 2x2 meters, if I had a permenant bed i would use one of the smaller ones.

Thanx again for any advice   :)

peterjf

Re: permanent bed or rotation for onions
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 16:37 »
a lot of champion onion growers keep there onions in the same bed,

ill be trying that next year,

i just pulled my pickling onions , they drying out for a couple of weeks then ill take them home ,

the cheif domestic engineer will prepare them , great pickled onions at christamas, along side the red cabbage and pickled beetroot , mmmmmmmmm burp burp lol mmmmmm

sloworm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 16:52 »
I might have to use my main crop ones for pickles as most haven't grown at all !!! :blush:

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 17:14 »
don't forget that the champion growers will replace the soil in the beds regularly to prevent the build up of pests and diseases.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 17:26 »
I live near the Mammoth Onion place at Forton, Lancashire. Have a look on their website as they use the same beds all the time. Interesting cultivation with a mixture of organic and chemical prep and feed.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

sloworm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 17:29 »
Thanx goosegirl will certainly have a look :)

themoog

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 20:40 »
Rotate, rotate, rotate! I've just discovered (a bit late) during my first year of growing onions that the previous tennant ALWAYS grew his onions where I've been growing mine.

Might explain the white rot on my garlic  >:(!
My music teacher was right. If you have to make a mistake, make it good and big and loud; with a bit of luck people will think that it was always meant to be like that.

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 20:54 »
Yes, you should always rotate to cut down on pests and diseases. Also always use certified stock.

SG6

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 14:38 »
The question was bound to cause two different views.
I bought the mammoth onion seed last year and read their site and cultivation notes. They do say that they use the same bed(s) again and again.

Equally I know of rotation, actually did rural studies at school as I was in Wilts it was part of life here at that time.

Someone on a section here has asked what do onions take out or put in for them to be able to plan them in to a crop rotation plan. Seems they are a bit neutral, so don't actually fall in too well.

With all that I would say that until the increase of white rot using a dedicated bed was feasible. However as white rot has increased recently, it likes warm and humid weather, it would seem that the days of a dedicated bed are drawing to a close.

Problem is that white rot is a fungus in the soil and last for a period that can be 5 to 18 years, depends on what you read. It can therefore be spread by walking from one bed to another - soil on shoes, or by soil on tools. So rotation will eventually spread it to all beds that you have.

xx
Where do shallots and onions fit into crop rotation?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 05, 2012, 13:46
by JayG
xx
Crop rotation Onions & Roots

Started by snails2go on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post December 02, 2011, 14:46
by seedman
xx
permanent salad growing bed

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 16, 2020, 17:37
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
Carrot's and Parsnips - Permanent bed?

Started by cudders on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 20:16
by Trillium

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 35 queries.