Big bad blight ( tomato) anyone spotted it yet?

• 35 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Big bad blight ( tomato) anyone spotted it yet?
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2021, 10:12 »
Anything you can do to tilt the odds in your favour has to help mum - I would guess that surrounding the plants with a fine mesh barrier would provide the best outdoor protection given that the wind doesn't always blow in the same direction.

Can't do anything about the rain wetting the leaves and promoting spore germination, but making sure you don't wet them when watering has to be a slight help too.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Florablunder

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2021, 10:59 »
Went up to the plot this morning to water/feed the toms - ended up putting them all into a bin bag as they were clearly gonners - I haven't even had a chance to get any fruit off them yet. My 2nd early potatoes had also been affected I think - they were looking really healthy just a few days ago, but now all brown and dying off, so I cut those down as well to hopefully protect the spuds.

I have a couple of spare tomato seedlings at home - could I put those up at the allotment to replace the blighted ones, or is that just foolhardy?? Is it too late to start again with toms? Or is this summer a write-off now?

jambop

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2021, 18:05 »
I had to pull out the end plant from a row of 4 - the others were behind a debris netting wind-break. As the spores are windborne, it makes me wonder if surrounding them with a barrier/netting  would help?

That's interesting mum I thought that the spores were carried in rain drops. So the spores actually arrive with the wind and are then germinated by the water from the rain one assumes ? Anyway we have had a bit of a show of blight on some of the plants but I have treated them and hope that it will hold it back. I will be treating them again because rain is forecast for sometime next week. I have been trying to keep of the treatment and it just shows that it is not worth it you have put the work in and have a legal method of saving plants then use it in my opinion, if I had followed my normal routine I would have had no problem. I am still hopeful that treating them will save them though.

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2021, 07:35 »
Its turned up at home as well now, I have some training toms on a 3ft wall and just found 3 plants have been hit, will need to have a good tidy up later to save what I can. A least I have had a crop from these, nothing from the allotment at all so far. Hopefully the greenhouse will escape un hit.

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2021, 09:20 »
I've lost 3 plants from 12.  The rest are infected but still producing clean fruit.  It's also on several peppers/chillies and a couple of potatoes in pots.  I suspect most plants will be binned within a month.  This years yield is unlikely to cover the compost cost :mad:

OakR

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2021, 12:01 »
I had to pull out the end plant from a row of 4 - the others were behind a debris netting wind-break. As the spores are windborne, it makes me wonder if surrounding them with a barrier/netting  would help?

Interesting. I've been debating trying this anyway to reduce the wind effect a bit, but would be great if this also worked.

Hopefully the weather is not so bad next year though!

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
Tomato Blight?

Started by Jay The Digger on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 18:14
by Jay The Digger
xx
Tomato blight

Started by JL on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 18, 2016, 16:54
by JL
xx
Tomato Blight

Started by tonydevine125 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 14, 2010, 16:17
by DD.

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 45 queries.