Sorting the plot

• 2 Replies

PhilCardiff

Sorting the plot
« on: June 15, 2021, 14:02 »
Hi, new boy here!
I have a half plot that is a little overgrown. It is a long narrow plot, approx 5m x 20m. I dont intend to get it all productive this summer, but there is a central section that is clear of fruit shrubs that I would like to make a start on.
How would you suggest I make a start this summer? I have heard that potatos and pumpkins / squash really help to get the weeds under control. Is it too late to plant main crop potatos?
I have a number of squash seedlings that I have in my greenhouse, I am thinking of pulling / trimming as much weeds as I can, covering with cardboard or landscape fabric and then planting these through some holes. Is that a good idea?
I also plan on planting a few wigwams of beans. Can these be planted through cardboard?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Sorting the plot
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 22:47 »
Welcome to the forums  :)

I'm going to pop your post over to the Grow Your Own board, but feel free to come back to the Welcome board to introduce yourself again for a proper welcome  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Hampshire Hog

Re: Sorting the plot
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 17:38 »
Your plan sounds good to me.
The squash will hopefully grow well in the current heat if well watered.
I don’t see why you can’t plant beans through cardboard, with holes etc.
My only query would be on your main crop potatoes I’m not sure you have enough growing time now before the plants hit the late autumn frost. The other point is that the seed potatoes you might find now would be past their best in my view.
FYI The reason potatoes are a good crop for clearing a plot is the digging involved in planting and harvest rather than anything specific to the crop. Good luck HH
Keep digging

xx
Sorting out my plot ?

Started by nicklord1 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 10, 2008, 23:55
by noshed
xx
Best time of year for sorting out a plot?

Started by MrsR on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 23, 2007, 21:20
by WG.
xx
sorting seeds

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 12, 2021, 12:03
by Goosegirl
xx
Sorting out the raspberry bed.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2015, 20:47
by 3759allen

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 38 queries.