Raspberry canes

• 8 Replies

PlymouthMaid

Raspberry canes
« on: July 19, 2009, 14:21 »
I was awondering.... when I prune my autumn bliss rasberries (first year), can the pruning be used to make new canes? Sounds a daft question really but I don't know if they would root or if there is anything different about canes that one buys from garden centres.  I am guessing that I can probably root decent ones in the ground?

peterjf

Re: Raspberry canes
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 14:35 »
yes , one of the easiest to take root,  about now you cut a few canes off and stick the

canes into water,  then after a month place into compost in a pot

but you should have little shoots comming thriough your soil close to the plants anyway

violet61

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 14:44 »
What about the shoots coming out of ground, can you replant them? Incidently plymouthmaid have your rasberry canes fruited? just wondered, mine have been & gone???

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 14:50 »
violet61 - it appears that you have the summer fruiting variety, whereas PlymouthMaid has autumn fruiting ones. The two should be treated differently.

For summer ones you prune off the canes that bore fruit this year, leaving the new growth that will fruit next year.

Autumn varieties fruit on the canes grown this year and are cut back in their entirety after fruiting.

You can move the canes and the best time for this is late Autumn or early Spring.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 15:56 »
My Autumn bliss were planted out in december, as bare root canes, didn't cut them back until end of \march - one has fruited with 4 fruits already (?), the others are only about 18 inches high and not very vigorous. They are in a row with weed suppressing membrane around them - what should I do with them as they haven't flowered or fruited?

Kagganz

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 16:12 »
ooops  :unsure:

I planted my Autumn Bliss last November (it was one in a small pot form B & Q) and I haven't cut it or anything, it's very healthy but about 4 foot high!! 

Should I have cut it?

if so......

Can I cut it now and how low?

Thanks xx

PlymouthMaid

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 16:23 »
Aha - thank you for replies. Will have a go to increase my stock. Mine are beginning to fruit and we have had a few ripe berries. A bit earlier than expected but out hedges are also full of ripe blackberies about 4 weeks earlier than usual.

violet61

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 16:53 »
Did wonder about that, I got them from an offer between gardners world/thompson & morgan. I had started to think that with the weather being so poor that maybe the canes were confused :wacko: :wacko: Maybe T&M got confused :wacko: How am I supposed to know which they are????

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 20:00 »
Kaz, too late i think to cut it down now, it wouldn't regrow in time to fruit anyway :( In the winter cut it down to a few inches above the soil, and it will grow new canes next year to fruit on :)
You may be lucky and get a taste on the growth you have anyway :)

Plymouth maid, when i planted mine in spring, and pruned them, i shoved the canes i had cut off into the ground between the supplied ones. 4 have rooted out of 6 bits. I did water them very well during the dry spell though :)

xx
where to buy raspberry canes

Started by stephent on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 23, 2012, 14:09
by allotmentann
xx
Raspberry canes

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 23, 2021, 18:39
by Hampshire Hog
xx
raspberry canes

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 23:06
by galen
xx
Raspberry canes

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 09, 2008, 15:42
by sclarke624

Page created in 0.442 seconds with 40 queries.