where to buy raspberry canes

• 6 Replies

stephent

where to buy raspberry canes
« on: November 21, 2012, 23:19 »
I am looking to plant some raspberry canes this winter and wanted to know the cheapest place to get them?

Also any particular variety that grow and yield well? Think I will be going for autumn fruiting.

Steve

allotmentann

Re: where to buy raspberry canes
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 07:03 »
Of the big companies J Parker are about the cheapest that I have come across. They do a collection of 30 (early,mid and late) for £20. And most of the individual varities are around £10 for 10 canes.
Having said that I have just bought a lot of raspberries from several companies and the DT Brown ones have a lot more root than the J Parker ones, but they were of course more expensive.
Members on here were recommending Joan J as a very good autumn fruiting raspberry not so long ago. I can't say, as mine have only just been planted! :)

willp

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 08:18 »
No particular advice on where to buy, but can certainly concur on Joan J being a good autumm fruiting choice. Good sized tasty fruit and plenty of it.

Will

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 12:53 »
I bought mine from Wilko's. 3 canes for £3.25. Also got a gooseberry bush for the same price.
British by birth, Scottish by the grace of God

Lottiman

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 20:00 »
I bought my Joan J from Pomona Fruits not particularly cheap but nice strong canes, planted them last october, loads of fruit even in it's first season nice tasting berry and huge too.
Optimism probably a gardeners best tool.

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 07:01 »
Of the big companies J Parker are about the cheapest that I have come across. They do a collection of 30 (early,mid and late) for £20. And most of the individual varities are around £10 for 10 canes.
Having said that I have just bought a lot of raspberries from several companies and the DT Brown ones have a lot more root than the J Parker ones, but they were of course more expensive.
Members on here were recommending Joan J as a very good autumn fruiting raspberry not so long ago. I can't say, as mine have only just been planted! :)

I bought this J Parker collection last year and they did really well, they romped away and gave me more fruit than I'd expected in their first year. 
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

allotmentann

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 14:09 »
That is good to know, I have just planted ten canes of Fallgold (yellow) from them. I hope they do as well as yours. I think the collection of 30 is exceptionally good as it works out at around 66p per cane.  :)

xx
Are these raspberry canes?

Started by balfie on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 21:25
by JayG
xx
Raspberry Canes

Started by Johne48 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 26, 2012, 15:33
by noshed
xx
Old raspberry canes

Started by muckyboots on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 01, 2021, 16:24
by muckyboots
xx
Raspberry canes

Started by Sean on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 21, 2006, 12:54
by Zak the Rabbit

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 34 queries.