Good Life effect kicked in at last

• 33 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Good Life effect kicked in at last
« on: August 24, 2013, 17:52 »
I know loads of you have been jamming and chutneying away already, it takes an autumnal feeling in the air to get me going  ::)  Dried a few things and made some tomato sauce for the freezer already, but the full on 'Good Life' preserving rush kicked in today with a vengence :lol:

Today's exploits were some more tomato sauce for the freezer, gooseberry chutney and some chilli oil, which I make on small batches so it keeps fresh.

The chutney is a good, dark, put hairs on your chest one with gooseberries out of the freezer and onions from the plot.  Can't wait for it to mature now  :)

The preserving books are out and planning lots more over the next few days  :D

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: Good Life effect kicked in at last
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 18:13 »
Good on you New Shoot, welcome to the club! :D

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 18:17 »
I did a double batch of runner bean today, hubby helped but it turned out very dark so i am not sure on it as its never been that chocolate brown before.

12 jars are now full and cooling.

I love it and it is addictive seeing all those lovely jars. Did dry a load of toms the other day but in the oven not in the dehydrator, saying that the three trays i did only have a handful remaining. Lol

Is that the gooseberry chutney in the big jars got a lovely rice colour

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 18:30 »
Yes the big jars are the gooseberry, with one small jar that will make a nice little pressie for a visitor.  I've made various chutneys, but that's my fave for a good dark one. The other lighter coloured small jar is the chilli oil  :)

Now thinking about piccalilli - would have to buy the cauli, but got the rest of the veg.  I love it but not made my own before and a few jars of that would brighten up many a bread and cheese lunch. I've also got a Madhur Jaffrey recipe for a spicy tomato chutney that I fancy making again.

Got a fortnight off work, so a happy spell of plot and kitchen exploits follows  :D  :D  :D

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 18:47 »
Ah yes BQ, it certainly is addictive...even for someone who doesn't eat chutney! I have a fancy to try cheese to encourage me to eat with. :D

New Shoot, you had better have a cheap supply of sugar, vinegar, spices and jars!

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 19:13 »
Marvellous, News!

Mrs G and I don't eat sugar ever, and we've made chatters two years running without any!

It still lasts a couple of years, as the vinegar does the job of preserving.

Like your idea of a 'dark' chutney, rather like an extra violent marmalade eh..?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 20:35 »
Its a chutney to take seriously  ;)  :lol:  Not a marmalade eater really, but my dad likes the violent stuff - the darker and more menacing looking the better  :lol:

Sparkyrog

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 20:41 »
My tom and apple chutney uses black treacle rather than sugar that gives it a nice dark colour  :)
I cook therefore I grow

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 22:17 »
They look lovely NS. Have you just put your chutney into hot jars & put the lids down or have you done them in a water bath as well?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Sparkyrog

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 22:20 »
Why on earth would you think of putting chutney in a water bath ? Both vinegar and sugar are preservatives ! Chutneys keep for years  :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 09:20 »
The gooseberry chutney has a lot of brown sugar and white malt vinegar in it, so is put into warm, sterilised jars while still hot and then sealed Snowdrops :)

I've seen chutney recipes where you have to do water bath treatment after jarring Sparky  ;)  Guess they are lighter versions which cut down on the sugar and vinegar, so need a heat treatment.  More savoury conserve than chutney really in that case  :lol:

Your black treacle based apple and tomato chutney sounds like a real humdinger  ;)  :D  I've got my deep, dark, mellow chutney reserves now, so am moving onto the other things I would like to have in the cupboard.  It has occured to me I can use some green eyeballs cucamelons in the piccalilli. Got to think of something to use them for as I seem to have grown quite a lot  :lol:

Sweetpea C

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 09:45 »
Hello NS,

I haven't made anything like jam or chutney before but I do have a tub of gooseberries in the freezer so I would like to give them a go, please can I have your recipe because it sounds scrummy! Thanks,  Sweetpea C x
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 11:19 »
Of course  :)  Makes about 1L

1kg gooseberries
1 onion - finely chopped
250g raisins
750g brown sugar
625ml white or brown malt vinegar - I prefer white, or it really is deep and dark, but your choice
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger *
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder *

* vary these flavourings as you please.  I use chilli, ground coriander and either allspice or ground ginger - about 1/2 teaspoon of each

Put everything in a large pan and bring to the boil slowly, stirring all the while to dissolve the sugar.
Reduce the heat and simmer for at least an hour, but may take longer.

You want a thick consistency where you can't see any whole pieces of anything and a good dark colour.  Stir every now and then, but you will need to stay close and stir more as it finishes and thickens. 

This isn't a chutney where you can draw a spoon across the base of the pan and leave a clear channel.  Its more runny, but when it starts bubbling like a hot mud pit (honest you will notice the difference in the sound it makes, but this is the best description I can come up with  :lol:), most of the water has evaporated and it is ready to jar.  It thickens a lot when cool.

I sterilise jars by putting them on a baking tray and then into a cold oven.  Set it to 120 degrees C and leave them for 30 minutes.  Remember to do the lids as well, but if you are using the rubber ring kilner jars, boil the rubber rings to sterilise, rather than put them in the oven.

Needs a few weeks to mature, then dig in and enjoy  :)

plum crumble

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 13:30 »
ooh, NS! I was just wondering what to do with that spare kilo of gooseberries in the freezer! now I know...ta  :D
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 16:22 »
Today's lot  :) 

Gooseberry and loganberry jam on the left and spicy tomato chutney on the right. 

Taste test on the jam - oh yeah, that'll do :D  Was still warm at this stage so a bit runny.

Various veggies also either dry brining or wet brining for processing tomorrow, including a cucamelon and onion mix for a freezer pickle.  You fridge it for 8 hours, freeze it for 2 weeks, than thaw for 8 hours.  New one on me, but the website I found it on was raving about it, so here goes nothing  :lol:

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 39 queries.