My chicken died

• 7 Replies

andrewandkaren

My chicken died
« on: April 22, 2009, 16:39 »
We have just lost one of our chickens and we dont know why..within 48hrs she died..her comb was pink and the other chickens she was with are fine...(touch wood) she hadnt been laying eggs consistantly..WHY??????could she have been egg bound..im lost...

Kate and her Ducks

Re: My chicken died
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 16:42 »
I'm so sorry to hear you have lost your hen and it is always worse when you don't know why. What symptoms did she have? When you said she died with 48 hours do you mean she had been unwell for 48 hours or that you had only had her for 48 hours. How old is she?
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

andrewandkaren

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 16:47 »
she went off her food, she was crouched down with her tail down would only drink water if given on a spoon,  her poo was a bit runny, she wouldnt walk around, very unsteady.  We have had her for 12 months ex rescue bird when we got her she was probably 18 months old.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 17:01 »
Sometimes that's the problem I'm afraid.  the ex batts are worn out when you get them at 18 months.  So she had a good extra year with you.  Hybrids are bred for egg production, not for living long lives.  In those 18 months, she probably laid an egg every day, maybe 2.  She was in cages with other birds, had her food given to her, not quite force fed, but similar and the lights go on and off, sometimes to make them have 2 days in one.

It is a very stressful life and some when rescued only last a few days.  Saying that however, I have known ex batts live for 4 or 5 years.

So she may just have been old and k*******d.  However, keep an eye on your other girls, and when you can have a good clean out of their house and run just in case.  Hope the others will be okay.

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 20:04 »
i have ex batts an i have also had just had them drop dead on me for no reason but i have noticed that the slighest thing can make them go down ill very fast , am sorry for your lose  :(
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 20:10 »
But how wonderful that she got 12 months of happy life as a proper chicken. Sad that she's gone but what a gift to have given her.

FRUITFULL

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 20:21 »
i second that kate!sorry to hear your girlie died  :( im new to the chicken world and am still trying to work out if ours are pets or chicks!! :(

HENrietta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 20:23 »
So sorry to hear of your loss :(. Hope your other girls perk up. And yourself!  :)

HENrietta
Live, Love and Laugh!

sad
help my chicken just died

Started by funny farm on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 17, 2009, 17:28
by Aunt Sally
xx
chicken died

Started by ste23 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 12, 2012, 16:56
by ste23
xx
chicken died this morning

Started by Lizziechick on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 02, 2012, 18:44
by bantam novice
xx
Any Ideas why my chicken died :(

Started by kyz1981 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 25, 2012, 14:54
by joyfull

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 31 queries.