Soy mince

• 14 Replies

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Soy mince
« on: November 21, 2009, 10:02 »
I'm giving Soy mince a try for the second time only (once cooked for OH's veggie cousin using Quorn), and I'm making a chilli today  :). If it goes well, I plan to use it more often rather than my usual beef or turkey mince. Obviously it should work fine in the chilli, ragu(bolognese) and cottage/shepherds pie style dishes, but does anyone use it to make their own burgers (always/only make my own) or kofta style kebabs? How well does it hold together? Any tips/ideas?

Thank you for reading.  :) 
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
Re: Soy mince
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 12:50 »
Hi, I use quorn mince which is similar and find that to make it form well into burgers i need to add some moisture. I usually soak it in milk or milk and water for an hour or two before making the burgers. It also makes a nice meatless meatloaf with onions, leeks and a few chopped chestnuts.

Have fun experimenting
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it....

hamstergbert

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 12:57 »
Assuming target audience is ovivorous, as an alternative to the milk and water, you might like to try stirring in an egg that has been well beaten (possibly also with a pinch or two of tandoori spice and/or chili powder mixed in. Works for me).  In addition to helping the bind it also provides a pleasant variant to the overall flavour.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

madcat

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 13:31 »
I find it is fine for sauce type things with plenty of flavourings to make it taste of something- ragu, cottage pie, chilli and use it quite a lot for lo fat versions of things like that.  Sometimes I confess to using it to 'stretch' the meat when I bought for 2 and find that I have rather more to feed. ::)

But I've not been impressed with it for burgers and koftas which really depend on the 'meat' tasting of something and caramelising around the edges - it's hard work to make it stick together, and the more flavourings the harder it is.  Add it doesnt get the crunchy sticky meat flavoured edge.  So I pass ....
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 16:21 »
When I made soya burgers (do you mean from dry soya granules by the way?) I always used t extra spices, curry worked well, as they are a bit tasteless as others have mentioned, and would egg and breadcrumb them as well, so the crumbs could crisp a bit :)

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 16:31 »
MoS I do mean dry granules but they could be rehydrated..... Thanks Mosslane, Hamstergbert (you egg-eater you) and Madcat for your thoughts too.  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 16:42 »
They're the kind I use, but a lot of people buy the frozen stuff nowadays, so I did wonder  :wacko:
It took a bit of experimenting before I found something I was happy with but it can be done :)
I always put tomato sauce over the ones that weren't so good and said they were flat meat balls...at least they got eaten that way :lol:

Good luck :)

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 17:52 »
They're the kind I use, but a lot of people buy the frozen stuff nowadays, so I did wonder  :wacko:
It took a bit of experimenting before I found something I was happy with but it can be done :)
I always put tomato sauce over the ones that weren't so good and said they were flat meat balls...at least they got eaten that way :lol:

Good luck :)

Thanks!  :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 18:08 »
I found the soy granules/chunks quite difficult to hold togther for burgers or meat balls without any egg (DS was vegan for years) but it made excellent chilli  :D

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 11:35 »
I found the soy granules/chunks quite difficult to hold togther for burgers or meat balls without any egg (DS was vegan for years) but it made excellent chilli  :D

It did make a good chilli  :D, only the quite different texture may take some getting used to.....

titch

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 17:03 »
i use it to stretch out any mince dish that has sauce/gravy - been doing it for years - no one seems to notice as long as there is some meat in there somwhere  :lol:
just keep breathing................

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 19:12 »

It did make a good chilli  :D, only the quite different texture may take some getting used to.....

If you want it still veggie you can add those little round green lentils to it as they have a mincy sort of texture  :D

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 07:21 »

If you want it still veggie you can add those little round green lentils to it as they have a mincy sort of texture  :D

Puy lentils? Love them, always have them in the cupboard. Yum!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 20:59 »
Actually you could use puy but I meant the small ball shaped ones ... whole mung beans I think they are.

They are good too and quite a different flavour to puy  :)

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 07:28 »
Actually you could use puy but I meant the small ball shaped ones ... whole mung beans I think they are.

They are good too and quite a different flavour to puy  :)

Got them in the cupboard too, I like my pulses  :). Thanks for the ideas!  :D

clip
Mince pie anyone ?

Started by Lardman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

36 Replies
Last post December 24, 2013, 23:26
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Mince Pies

Started by Missey on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post November 29, 2018, 17:09
by wighty
xx
Another mince pie question..

Started by BumbleJo on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post November 26, 2018, 19:53
by mumofstig
xx
Mince Pies

Started by sarajane on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

66 Replies
Last post December 20, 2012, 13:56
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 36 queries.