Brocolli, Cabbages, Tomatoes and Peppers

• 5 Replies

Sweet Pea 2

• Experienced Member
Brocolli, Cabbages, Tomatoes and Peppers
« on: October 05, 2009, 13:19 »
My Broccoli seems to have grown well this year, but not many plants have actually produced any Broccoli, and those that have haven’t got very much.  I planted them out in July, and I think I have kept them fairly well watered despite the dry weather, I haven’t fed them.  Any idea why they haven’t grown much Broccoli?

My Cabbages have been a bit big for my netting for a couple of weeks now.  Will this have halted their growth permanently or it is worth making a bigger netting (I won’t get a chance until the weekend).

On the tomatoes and peppers.  Have people brought theirs in now?  I would like my peppers to ripen up a bit, as I prefer them red to green, but should I just bring them in, to make sure they aren’t spoilt by the first frost?  My tomatoes are still green, my fault I out them in far too late, but I was intending to make green tomato chutney with them.  Should I bring them in as well as the peppers above?  Also I am sure some of the tomatoes are definitely fully developed, as they are so big.  Would it be a problem if I put under developed ones in my chutney.  F it is, how do I tell, apart from size if they are fully developed.

Sorry for lots of questions on one post, but thought it might be better than lots of posts.

savbo

Re: Brocolli, Cabbages, Tomatoes and Peppers
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 13:35 »
Broccoli - is it green or purple type? I have purple sprouting and it won't be ready til spring...

Cabbages - don't know

Peppers - I grew a few in greenhouse, I picked them green once the flesh was getting a bit softer and they went red in the kitchen in a few days

Toms - I would get toms within next couple of weeks, I still have a few going red but that will slow down and stop soon I think - any left will go into chutney

hope that helps...
M

Sweet Pea 2

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 13:46 »
it is green type.  Thank you for advice.

veggirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 16:18 »
My Broccoli seems to have grown well this year, but not many plants have actually produced any Broccoli, and those that have haven’t got very much.  I planted them out in July, and I think I have kept them fairly well watered despite the dry weather, I haven’t fed them.  Any idea why they haven’t grown much Broccoli?

My Cabbages have been a bit big for my netting for a couple of weeks now.  Will this have halted their growth permanently or it is worth making a bigger netting (I won’t get a chance until the weekend).

On the tomatoes and peppers.  Have people brought theirs in now?  I would like my peppers to ripen up a bit, as I prefer them red to green, but should I just bring them in, to make sure they aren’t spoilt by the first frost?  My tomatoes are still green, my fault I out them in far too late, but I was intending to make green tomato chutney with them.  Should I bring them in as well as the peppers above?  Also I am sure some of the tomatoes are definitely fully developed, as they are so big.  Would it be a problem if I put under developed ones in my chutney.  F it is, how do I tell, apart from size if they are fully developed.

Sorry for lots of questions on one post, but thought it might be better than lots of posts.

Tomatoes - my plants got blight, so I used all the tomatoes, fully developed or not for green tomato chutney. It was lush - could have used twice as much!

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 00:27 »
Wait a little longer on the broccoli. They will come eventually.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 07:51 »
A little thing like netting won't stop cabbages growing!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
nooooooo... my cabbages and brocolli :(

Started by Rizo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 23:10
by JayG
xx
TOMATOES AND PEPPERS

Started by BARNACLE BILL on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 03, 2015, 07:47
by Headgardener22
xx
Tomatoes & Peppers

Started by sarah-king on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 21:59
by chris23005
xx
Tomatoes and Peppers

Started by crilly on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 14, 2014, 09:45
by tangojulie

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 38 queries.