Early Nante carrots

• 17 Replies

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
Re: Early Nante carrots
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 10:00 »
I started my first lot off in pots indoors at the end of feb, they came up after about 2-3 weeks I had them outside under mini polytunnel for 3 weeks just planted them out this week.

I started next lot off in pots under polytunnel on 23 march, they germinated a few days ago.  Just the first leaves visible so far, no true leaves.
Lots of things have germinated under polytunnel in last week due to the warm days we've just had. I was thinking of sowing the next lot direct though.

I planted them all about 1/2 " deep, in my own leafmold.

If you have more seed I'd start a new batch off now anyway, if first batch come up after all they probably won't be mature at same time. Can never have too many carrots imo. :)

jjherts

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 12:52 »
I find that the weeds come through before the carrots and swamp them!  So this year I've collected together all of my old bucket-like containers (the plastic ones that blood,fish & bone fertilizer comes in and chicken pellets etc) and filled with a mixture of 2/3 sand and 1/3 compost.  I've sowed the seed finely on top and just sieved over a bit more sand.  I've got 3 so far with another waiting for sowing in about a month.  I hope it works!  this gives me more room on the allotment for beetroots!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 16:38 »
JJherts, can I just check that you've put drainage holes in your buckets - otherwise you'll lose the carrots to rot!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
Early carrots.

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2021, 15:28
by Anton
xx
Early Carrots

Started by Mulchy1 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 09, 2018, 09:41
by sunshineband
xx
Too early for carrots?

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 12, 2011, 18:00
by alibean

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 38 queries.