Smart meter on Economy 7...

• 7 Replies

Growster...

Smart meter on Economy 7...
« on: May 17, 2020, 07:40 »
Not sure if we've covered this before, but has anyone managed to get one?

We're pretty careful with electricity, simply because paying around £40.00 a week is the sort of dosh which should be considered seriously, but our electricity supplier has told us that smart meters won't be available for some time.

Since turning off a few night storage rads, we've noticed a difference, but the other week, the immersion packed up, and - bless - a local firm we've used for ages treated it as an emergency and arrived twice to see to the problem. The thermostat had gone on the blink, and had been set to near boiling point, so the new one takes far less electricity to work comfortably, but I just wonder who really cares at the various electricity companies?

(Any Kent chums here can PM me for the name of the firm we use, they're not far from here, and well recommended)!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Smart meter on Economy 7...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 10:23 »
I'm not sure that I'd bother with a smart meter, if I had the choice again tbh.
It didn't make any difference to my bill, because you either want to heat water, wash some clothes, boil the kettle, cook the dinner, bake a cake, or put the heating on or you don't.
Seeing how much these things cost only adds to your depression  ::)
I think it is more important to get the cheapest supplier, so check regularly through MSE website. If you change supplier they may say you have to have a smart meter installed, so will do it, but if you change supplier again, they don't always work with the new supplier  :lol:
It's all a load of tosh (IMO of course )

DanielCoffey

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 10:38 »
I just love the convenience of having the meter readings sent in daily without having to do it manually. I find it interesting to see the days the electric vehicle was plugged in for a charge as it is quite a spike!

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 12:19 »
As we don't have a smart meter I can't really assist you and yes, I know, that's such a great help - not!

To me, it depends on what was used in the construction of your home. Our thick cottage walls consist of sandstone blocks infilled with rubble which retains the heat from our open fire. I have a little Dimplex radiator in my office area which I sometimes use, and made a goose-down duvet which will keep you warm whatever the weather.  :lol: 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 12:57 »
I completely agree with Mum's words.   I know if the light, tv, washing machine is on or off.   If I was thinking of changing supplier, which I am not, I would not allow them to blackmail me into changing my meter.
But, having an electric car to charge. !!  My Land Rover is diesel, and I changed it from petrol because Mr Blair told us to   ::)  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 14:40 »
It's really wanting to know if a smart meter will be available if one's on Econ 7, that's the query.

I know to the 'nth' degree how much we use, as a check now and then on the meter tells me, but so many other measures need to be in place, the clock, for instance, as if that goes all lazy and ticks over too fast/slow, then normal usage which you'd think was on the cheap rate, spills over into the more expensive day rate!

The nerd in me tells me that if that happens to - say - the 25 million customers in the UK, who are paying paying the bills, there's a lot of money going spare (profit that is) if they each lose out on just a few quid each month, without noticing it...

I'd rather have the cash...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 15:31 »
Yes, you can ;)
Can you get a smart meter with Economy 7?

You can get a smart meter if you’re on an Economy 7 tariff. The ease with which you can do so will depend on the supplier you’re with. You might find your options limited depending on what’s available at the time you’re looking to switch, but there should be at least a few available Economy 7 tariffs that come with a smart meter.
https://www.uswitch.com/gas-electricity/guides/economy-7/#step11

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 21:02 »
Thanks, Mum! That's an interesting site!

I think you and I are on the same Econ 7 area, and it has odd hours, but that's assuming our clocks are running properly!

I know I'm an old **** when it come to this, but other chums may like to have a few quid extra in their purses, just after a little bit of research, which, me being a 'nerd' on occasions, sometimes makes a difference...

But I also have spent five hours digging a bed for the sunflowers today, so I'm not all 'nerd'..;0)

xx
Economy 7 - yet again...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

14 Replies
Last post July 13, 2019, 13:05
by jezza
xx
Oven Economy ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

17 Replies
Last post September 27, 2022, 16:49
by Growster...
xx
Smart Meters

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

24 Replies
Last post September 29, 2018, 14:58
by Growster...
xx
Smart motorways.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post May 20, 2023, 07:54
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 47 queries.