Too hot for seedlings!!!

• 9 Replies

Lee1978

Too hot for seedlings!!!
« on: May 07, 2008, 18:15 »
I had chillis and cucumber plants coming on lovely in the conservatory at home as my greenhouse is full at the moment, finished work last night only to discover that  a lot of my seedlings had been scortched by the shear heat that was generated :cry:  

I am hoping that the remainder will be ok having moved them from the conservatory. Speaking to other plot holders they too have losted seedlings in their greenhouses yesterday by the heat, has anyone else had this problem?

weeeed

Too hot for seedlings!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 18:17 »
I just have the problem of what where and how all the time! Sheer greed on my account I'm afraid. Never enough :lol:  :cry:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
Too hot for seedlings!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 18:37 »
I've done the same thing!

Bought long window sill propagators for the conservatory (it's the only room safe from the cats!) and my seeds have come up in days (the packet said between 7-14 for most of them).

I'm worried it will be too hot for them!

My sweetcorn are gettin too leggy now so I think I should move them outside during the day before they ruin!
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

TheChilliMan

• Experienced Member
Too hot for seedlings!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 19:51 »
Dont forget, glass magnifies the suns intensity, and chillies arnt exacly tropical. they like warm weather not hot.

sharky

• Experienced Member
Too hot for seedlings!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 20:51 »
I have a plastic clear pvc type green house, will I get the same problem?  :shock:
I can certainly vouch that it gets quite hot in there.  :?

Ice

• muck spreader
Too hot for seedlings!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 20:52 »
I was going to start a thread asking for advice on the optimum temps to maintain in a greenhouse.  Hope you don't mind if I ask here.

As long as I am not starting off exotics, what would the best temp be?  I try to maintain a daytime maximum of 25C.
Cheese makes everything better.

puravida

• Experienced Member
Too hot for seedlings!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 22:06 »
Quote from: "sharky"
I have a plastic clear pvc type green house, will I get the same problem?  :shock:
I can certainly vouch that it gets quite hot in there.  :?

so true - I have the same and it was like a sauna when I walked in this afternoon. One of m baby tom plants had practically melted!

I'm away for a few days and having seen the weather forecast, have set up a capillary watering system and will be leaving the greenhouse door WIDE open.
Good beer, good BBQ and good friends.

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
Too hot for seedlings!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 22:14 »
Same thing here, too hot in the greenhouse. I had to put them all outside in the shade. They're all back in tonight, and seem ok. A few of the tomatoes that were left in the GH got sun scorched. The ones taken out and put in the shade all afternoon look better.

rusbli

Too hot for seedlings!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 22:25 »
Hi all, Im glad im not the only one having this problem was going to sumit a thread about this today! I hae got Chilli's, toms and peppers in the greenhouse. I put them in there on the weekend only to open the greenhouse up the next day to find most of them very weak shriveled up. I think I will have to try and plant some of my remainder seedlings in the shade and bring them into the greenhouse when they are established a bit more.

garddwr bach

Too hot for seedlings!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 09:59 »
We're never happy are we.
Huge worries this week that my conservatory is too hot for my 8 tom plants (flowers on two) and the few french beans that I've started in pots. I'm at work all day so I've left the 4 windows open and the double doors into the house - trying to dilute the heat. It's worked up to now!!!! And I water every evening as they get quite dry.
Try to be organic but will use black fly killer and a few slug pellets if desperate.

xx
What next for my seedlings?

Started by Lee G on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 21, 2009, 18:58
by out4nowt
xx
help with seedlings

Started by gunner on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 17, 2012, 06:35
by DD.
xx
Seedlings

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 27, 2010, 11:34
by joyfull
xx
seedlings

Started by bluealf on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 19:38
by bluealf

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 38 queries.