Purple tip to comb?!

• 5 Replies

gibbo

• Experienced Member
Purple tip to comb?!
« on: April 10, 2011, 20:35 »
Hello eveyone sorry ive not been on the forum for a while, life has been busy.  I have a question to ask.  I have just noticed tonight that one of my hens has a slight puple tint to the tip of her wattle.  Should i panic?  I have in my mind that this could indicate something bad, however she shows no signs of illness.  Has anyone ellse noticed this before and it prove to be nothing serious?  :(

Sassy

Re: Purple tip to comb?!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 10:14 »
It can indicate a heart problem. However, are you sure it is not dirt - you wouldn't be the first and I've dine it!!! :blink:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 12:21 »
Either dirt or perhaps she had a fight with one of the other birds? I occasionally see with mine combs which have been cut after a scuffle.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 14:36 »
Hi it can also be poor circulation, heart problems (as Sassy suggested), or lack of vit B small piece of toast with tiny amount of marmite on it, I tried this with one of my girls and she looked at me like I was trying to poison her!!(can't blame her though I'd do the same!!)  However with mine her comb has gone back to a healthy colour, so just keep an eye on yours. :)

gibbo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 17:20 »
hi everyone, thanks for your advice.  So a couple of days on and after a good dousing of lice powder as i noticed the little critters had invaded my girls, ive not noticed the blue comb again!  I wander if it was a little bruised from a determined little bantie cockrel who gets thrown of and does a somersult whilst still hanging on to there combs!! (my hens are not little either, legbars and wellsummers.  What a lucy little barbu de unccle cockrel!!)

Beakybird

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 18:51 »
I've found that if any of my girls are a little off-side they develop purple patches on their comb. It clears just as soon as they feel better. :) Maybe she was feeling a little under the weather?

xx
greyish/purple comb

Started by CattinJ on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 13:55
by Casey76
xx
slightly purple comb

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 21, 2008, 15:45
by Bodger
xx
Advice needed please - purple comb

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 13, 2010, 11:53
by Kathie
xx
Lethargic chuck with purple?! Comb

Started by haychickilady on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 13:53
by hen maiden

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 36 queries.