Cabbage

• 4 Replies

jenricks

Cabbage
« on: August 28, 2020, 15:36 »
which is the best Cabbage seeds and Cauliflower seeds to get thank you  ( seed )
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 19:39 by jenricks »

rowlandwells

Re: Cabbage
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 18:01 »
are you talking about the seed supplier or the seed varieties its self  Jenriks ?

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 01:52 »
Broadly, cabbages are of three kinds: summer, winter and spring.  Cauliflowers are either sown at a particular time or a variety called All the Year Round can be sown any time.   Cauliflowers can be a difficult crop to grow as they react fairly negatively to any check to growth, so I would invest in the open-pollinated All the Year Round until you are confident of growing them well.  F1 hybrid cauliflowers such as Clapton are very expensive to buy but are highly regarded among 13 varieties of Autumn Heading varieties given an AGM by the RHS.  Spring cabbages such as Offenham Flower of Spring, Durham Early and April are widely available and inexpensive while Spring Hero and 3 others have AGMs.   Widely available inexpensive summer cabbages are Greyhound and Golden Acre while the RHS lists 7 AGMs including Minicole.  Winter cabbages include January King varieties and Savoys of which the AGM variety Tundra is well-regarded
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 12:48 by CHRISDONOHUE »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 09:12 »
Every year I grow ..
Hispi for early/summer a sweet, pointy head cabbage, the seeds are getting a bit difficult to buy so I'm also trying Caramba next spring, as well.
MInicole small round heads perfect for coleslaw in summer or cooked as the season changes.
Then Tundra a truly winter hardy cabbage which I cut through the winter 'til they're gone...

When I bought a seed tin, it came with free seeds inside  ::) so I also have Dual colour mix (Dutchman & Tinty ) Brigadier, supposedly a huge variety up to 14lbs - may have to try a few of those for next year's Summer show  :ohmy:  and Satie a large white cabbage. So assuming I can find space, I'll try a few of these as well. I think I'm sorted for cabbage seeds for a few years now  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 18:09 »
All the previous comments are sound, but you might like to take into consideration the fact that your plot may suffer from club root. If so the Clapton cauliflowers have resistance, and cabbage Kilaton too, and they produce large solid heads which keep well. There are club root resistant broccoli too.

xx
sowing winter cabbage [spring cabbage ]

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 27, 2017, 16:46
by Aidy
xx
white cabbage and red cabbage?

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 27, 2007, 20:04
by muntjac
xx
Red cabbage

Started by Yorkie on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 08:35
by jennyb
xx
red cabbage

Started by janet12000 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 11, 2009, 16:37
by DD.

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 42 queries.