No Chickens Allowed

• 13 Replies

Cazzy

No Chickens Allowed
« on: March 11, 2008, 22:33 »
Seemingly Chickens are not allowed to be kept within the Glasgow City boundary.  I haven't researched this further but our allotment secretary told us the other day.

Anyone else found this to be the case with their local Council?
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

Swee'pea

• Experienced Member
No Chickens Allowed
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 22:35 »
Mine is defo NO chooks on allotments :( Sad coz I'd set my heart on some silkies

babe

• elvis king of chooks
No Chickens Allowed
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 22:37 »
i dare you to put one on a lead and stroll down sauchiehall street...just to see what happens :wink:

compostqueen

No Chickens Allowed
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 22:52 »
you need to read the by laws cos the council will tell you owt!  Ours say no chooks but we got hold of the handbook and no mention of not keeping em so CHECK for yourself rather than taking someone's word for it  8)

Swee'pea

• Experienced Member
No Chickens Allowed
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 22:57 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
you need to read the by laws cos the council will tell you owt!  Ours say no chooks but we got hold of the handbook and no mention of not keeping em so CHECK for yourself rather than taking someone's word for it  8)

ooo....where will I get hold of a set of them then? If it means I can actually have my silkies I'll be well thrilled :D

compostqueen

No Chickens Allowed
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 23:00 »
Ask your town clerk if you can read the bye-laws. Better still visit the library first as there maybe a copy there.  

Good luck  :D

Swee'pea

• Experienced Member
No Chickens Allowed
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 23:03 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
Ask your town clerk if you can read the bye-laws. Better still visit the library first as there maybe a copy there.  

Good luck  :D

TY for that....will go take a look tomorrow ;D

Cazzy

No Chickens Allowed
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 02:06 »
Pmsl babe, given half the sights you see here no one would probably bat an eyelid if I did

Yeah I'll do that compostqueen, thanx for the tip.

Not that I have any space to keep them just yet, it is something i'd like to do eventually.

jimroden

• Experienced Member
No Chickens Allowed
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 08:36 »
Allotment law clearly states that you are entitled to keep chickens as a food source.
 If you read the allotment law you are allowed to keep up to 50 chickens any more than that and you have to inform defra. Now the tricky bit is do you need 50 hen's producing 50 egg's per day for you immediate family. The councils can not refuse permission to keep hens cockerels yes as they are noisy if you look into it closely you can have most livestock except for cattle.

It may be worth joing these. They have helped us out on our allotments  with a huge dispuite last year.

http://www.nsalg.org.uk/

Jim
Dont tell lies you get in trouble

compostqueen

No Chickens Allowed
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 09:28 »
yeah we're with them  :D

brown

No chucks or bees in Leicester
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 21:26 »
i have an allotment in leicester (only just started, had chucks at home and bees) and not allowed chickens or bees, where do i get a copy of the allotment law.

compostqueen

No Chickens Allowed
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 21:53 »
The full bye-laws maybe in the council offices or at the local library

If you can't find them in the library ask the parish council to show them to you. They cant' refuse  :D

NormandyMary

No Chickens Allowed
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 23:24 »
Quote from: "Swee'pea"
Mine is defo NO chooks on allotments :( Sad coz I'd set my heart on some silkies

Boy am I glad that I left Swindon 3 years ago!!!!!!

jimroden

• Experienced Member
No Chickens Allowed
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 08:35 »
Hi Guy's and Girls
Just to clear this up hopefully......... No councils are allowed by law not to allow anyone who has an allotment be it rented or purchased to not have chickens and rabbits even council houses by law they are entitled to have chickens and rabbit's. How ever if your constitution states that hen's are not allowed then that's a different matter but that can be over ruled by the landlord ( Normally the  council). Ask your secretary for a copy of the constitution and also a copy of the lease. There has been a amendment in the last couple of years that I know to and that is you can keep up to 50 HENS before you need to contact DEFRA due to the avian flu. But again and this is where you need to be careful is that does a family of three or even 5 need 50 chickens if you can prove that you have the need for consumption of that amount of chickens then that's all well and good.  The 1950's allotment act clearly states The following
Abolition of contractual restrictions on keeping hens and rabbits
12 Abolition of contractual restrictions on keeping hens and rabbits
(1)Notwithstanding any provision to the contrary in any lease or tenancy or in any covenant, contract or undertaking relating to the use to be made of any land, it shall be lawful for the occupier of any land to keep, otherwise than by way of trade or business, hens or rabbits in any place on the land and to erect or place and maintain such buildings or structures on the land as reasonably necessary for that purpose:
Provided that nothing in this subsection shall authorise any hens or rabbits to be kept in such a place or in such a manner as to be prejudicial to health or a nuisance or affect the operation of any enactment
Now cockerals are a toatly different ball game thay are most definatly frowed upon in rural areas as they are nosey blighters be considerate in the realms of chicken keeping.

Please feel free to contact me on 07948721437 to discuss i looked into this last year in great detail as we went through it at my allotment.

Jim

xx
What are chicks allowed to eat?

Started by danmegal on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 18, 2009, 21:55
by themagicaltoad1
xx
Not allowed chucks

Started by fluffypebble on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 24, 2007, 23:02
by fluffypebble
xx
new bedroom should it be allowed?

Started by ally on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 28, 2017, 19:05
by Flowerpower136
xx
Number of hens allowed on an allotment

Started by Veggie Virgin on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post October 22, 2008, 22:28
by min200

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 36 queries.