what to grow ? Please help

• 22 Replies

umps25

Re: what to grow ? Please help
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2013, 22:24 »
very long term got the bug for it. i am waiting to end of summer then get the bushes when they are out of season. I have bout 10 raspberry bushes in. Really like gooseberries will have to go and invest in some. im thinking of making my own fruit cage also. What do you have in at the moment

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2013, 22:28 »
thank you both for replying. Thanks for the link. I very new to gardening this is the first time i have grown anythin. Also im getting called a few names from my mates as im only just thirty. i have great enjoyment in my allotment so far and am looking to continue also have been given three polytunnels by fellow allotmentiers, any ideas on what i get get started in there ?

Hey, I am under 30, female and was making chutneys and jams before I took on the allotment last year! There were a few jokes to begin with but now everyone is interested (and also a teeny but jealous I think!) Fiancé thinks I am mad but he lets me get on with it as he enjoys my cooking (apparently the main reason we are getting married).

I would ignore all of that and just enjoy it! I have found this forum invaluable for help and advice and everyone is so friendly. I have has some great successes already this year and it is definitely down to this forum

BobE

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2013, 22:33 »
Goosberries are easy from a vegative cutting.  This is posh for cutting a piece of one and sinking it into some compost.  There might be some onsite, you can allways ask for some prunings.  Currant bushes are similar, often you can find babie plants growing beneath mature plants.  Go for a look see, most people will be happy to help you.
Ive got the currant bushes and goosberries, not as many raspberries as you only 5.  I inherited my bushes they are at least twenty years old, were here when I arrived.  I make jam now from the fruit.  Some people brew country wines with it.
I'm toying with a peach tree for next year.
I learnt a tip from another member, Subie, about raspberries.  If it fruits then, after its done, cut it to the ground.  They only fruit on the new wood and will put up new shoots.  Any unfruited strems will fruit in the Autum.  Good tip it works.

BobE

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2013, 22:36 »
apparently the main reason we are getting married!!.

You've got to love a man who thinks with his tum. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

umps25

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2013, 22:46 »
thanks bob. I will go to my local pick your own lol they have some good gooseberries and blackberries. i want them all under a cage. RJR im very luck with jam and chutneys i have a few raspberries and lots of tomatoes. i have had an excellant return in these two this year i started them early in my back yard. It feels very revitalising

compostqueen

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2013, 10:00 »
I think, what not to grow, might be easier  :)

umps25

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2013, 11:17 »
compost queen think a little explanation would be better

compostqueen

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2013, 16:56 »
When you are considering what to grow you start to compile a list, which could end up being a mile long. If you make a list of things you don't want to grow it will be considerably shorter  :)

The space available determines what to grow. You can't grow loads of spuds if you only have a small plot so maybe plan what you have space for and what you most like to eat. Then think about what veg you can buy very cheaply such as peas and carrots and maybe omit those from your list if space is tight

You'd be surprised at the amount of folks who grow veg they don't like to eat and then end up giving it away or composting it.   Strange but true  :)

clip
To grow or not to grow, that is the question

Started by Blackpool rocket on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2018, 20:54
by Pescador
xx
melons... to grow on or not to grow on

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 13:32
by JayG
xx
beef toms in greenhouse. Grow bags v pots or pots in grow bags???

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 08:49
by mumofstig
xx
what to grow?

Started by billathome65 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 05, 2011, 08:55
by Kristen

Page created in 0.519 seconds with 36 queries.