Various coloured carrots

• 9 Replies

Christine

Various coloured carrots
« on: August 07, 2008, 21:13 »
Has anyone grown and eaten these different coloured carrots?

We are discussing whether we can face purple and yellow carrots next year but if anyone has experience it would be nice to have it in the mix before we make a decision.

FCG

Various coloured carrots
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 22:37 »
Did you know all carrots in Britain used to be purple until William of Orange brought over orange carrots from the Netherlands?

Poolfield2

Various coloured carrots
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 22:58 »
I'd be glad if I could get any bloomin carrots to grow, slugs ate them all except 2 :evil:

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
Various coloured carrots
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 23:00 »
i'm growing yellow stone this year, i wanted purple haze but couldn't find them in the shops near me.

i like the novelty of things that look different to what you get in the supermarkets etc.  they taste like carrots.

what do you mean by "whether we can face..."?

i'm going to buy a multi colour pack next year

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Various coloured carrots
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 23:13 »
Quote from: "freecyclegardener"
Did you know all carrots in Britain used to be purple until William of Orange brought over orange carrots from the Netherlands?

Yes. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Like the new avatar BTW, are you trying to attract carrot lovers?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

polly nator

• Experienced Member
Various coloured carrots
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 08:28 »
I grew some lovely carrots from a mixed pack by Kings Seeds which I bought from their stall at Harrogate Autumn Flower Show last year. Supposed to be purple, red, orange and yellow. Didnt get any purple but got a lovely lemony yellow carrot, a beautiful pale  creamy apricot colour and some fairly standard looking red. The taste of all is exceptionally sweet.  No idea what the varieties are but I would recommend them due to flavour and quality of the carrots.

ck2day

• Experienced Member
Various coloured carrots
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 09:42 »
I like the look of those and am definately going to order a packet of seeds.  won't grow them anywhere the chicks can get to them though, as they have spent a few days sat in the middle eeating the foliage!

Claire

diggerjoe

Various coloured carrots
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 10:38 »
As usual I bought the seeds purple haze, yellowstone the lot  but couldn't finish my raised bed which was for carrots as soil is very very stony so didnt sow any this year will try next year - will the unopened packets keep? Quite like to try a yellow and purple carrot :D Do you reckon they'll make you see more colours in the dark :lol:  :lol:  :lol: sorry for that its Friday in the office and its been a long week :lol:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Various coloured carrots
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 11:46 »
Im going to grow different colour carrots next year for the little lad, he will be amazed at purple carrots, and not fazed by tasting them either.

Itll be fun for him seeing what colour is coming up too

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Knoblauch

Various coloured carrots
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 11:52 »
This would really confuse the Germans.  They tend to call their root crops "???rube" with the colour in front to denote what type of root (Rube) it is.  I'll have to find out if a "red carrot" is a "Roterube" which is normally beetroot.

Though I think this is dialect and limited to the Schwäbisch area - Baden-Württemberg, SW Germany.

xx
funny coloured aubergines

Started by tracy-fuerteventura on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 09, 2009, 16:23
by mikem
xx
Honey coloured garlic offsets.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post May 28, 2014, 16:42
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Invincible white coloured flies.

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 07, 2009, 19:35
by mumofstig
xx
blackcurrants are sepia coloured and dropping off

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 28, 2016, 22:32
by missmoneypenny

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 32 queries.