which is best

• 5 Replies

the toolman

which is best
« on: December 08, 2010, 22:50 »
Hi, everyone.
I keep reading about mash?, there is layers, potatoe, bran, and porridge, any other?.
which is best and how often, I mean in this weather is a warm meal ever morning ok for them, or once or twice a week. we all want to do our best for our chucks, but is there like a weekly menu we can consult so we know us newbys are not doing any long term damage to our girls.
many thanks
 the toolman.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: which is best
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 22:55 »
whilst it is this cold I give my chickens either porridge made with water or a mash of layers pellets and hot water everyday - some of mine sleep in the trees and hedgerow still so they need something warm.  They then have layer pellets for the rest of the day with a scattering of mixed corn as a treat.
Staffies are softer than you think.

orchardlady

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 18:32 »
A basic diet of layer pellets add lib and a hand full of corn or mixed corn in the afternoon is perfect. I view everything else as lovely optinal extras.

These could be;

Porridge made with water.

Layers pellets 'porridge'

Lot's of greens.

A handful of sunflower seeds.

The list can go on and on I think you get the idea.

Chickens adapt very well to the cold possibly better than heat but the basic diet is fine.

OL

daisy1990

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 19:00 »
Now I know you will all disagree but there is no scientific evidence that eating something warm can raise body temperature (if it did as soon as you stopped eating it would return to normal anyway)  In humans having a nice warm meal can make you feel better but if you ate porridge in your garden it would make no difference to your core temperature.

Having said that we all love our hens and I have been known to give them a bowl of porridge (because they look sad!!)
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 19:43 »
Now I know you will all disagree but there is no scientific evidence that eating something warm can raise body temperature (if it did as soon as you stopped eating it would return to normal anyway)  In humans having a nice warm meal can make you feel better but if you ate porridge in your garden it would make no difference to your core temperature.

Having said that we all love our hens and I have been known to give them a bowl of porridge (because they look sad!!)
True but the body does benefit from warm food in cold weather.
A hot meal takes less energy to digest than  cold food, you expend energy heating cold food in the stomach to body temperature.

Fisherman

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 20:45 »
I feed my birds layers pellets and greens during the day and then mixed corn late in the day. Tried warm layers pellet / mash type porridge in the morning but they were not interested at all. This cold spell seems to have changed their eating habits as they seem to like to eat more natural protein when free-ranging rather than pellets and corn. In fact its a bit of a pain trying to round them up in the afternoon as they are too busy feeding.

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 36 queries.