Cement tips

• 24 Replies

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
Cement tips
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 00:07 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
....and I think you've just quoted the wrong post !!  :wink:

Nay I don't think so.  If you go to the sticky it says 'cement' and then links straight to this thread which is really talking about concrete (or mortar).

Pedantic I suppose so sorry for that, but I just imagined some young or otherwise inexperienced person, or even a lady going into a builder's yard and saying "Yes, I have an allotment and want to put some fence posts up so I need to make some cement!  How much, erm, (checks notes) ballast do I need for 4 holes?"  At best they're at risk of a condescending answer, at worst sniggers, and maybe ripped off.

poultrygeist

Cement tips
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 08:17 »
I'll let you off then !  :)

I see what you were referring to. Quite right that the info needs to be correct or pointless posting it.

I suspect that those same people could well be treated condescendingly and ripped off anyway !
Some builders merchants have a long way to go yet   :?

Cheers for the corrections. I have actually known builders who call mortar cement and prob wouldn't realise their mistake. Frightening really.

Rob

Leaf

• Experienced Member
Cement tips
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 21:08 »
oh dear, i hope my thread has not caused confusion, i am a builder/landscaper/groundworker, we call cement "dust" mortar a "gauge" and ballast/cement i.e concrete muck or a mix.
I do hope this has confused you more. Stop wasting money on lime!!!
we can plant a house, we can build a tree

poultrygeist

Cement tips
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 21:42 »
:lol:

I like my lime - and I've got a big bag of it to use up !!

I'm building a porch (very slowly) and with the age of the bungalow and depth of foundations, it needs a bit of flexibility.

Rob

shaun

Cement tips
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2008, 21:45 »
i just ring hanson  :roll: you guys are funny  :lol:  :wink:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
Cement tips
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 10:06 »
Quote from: "Leaf"
oh dear, i hope my thread has not caused confusion, i am a builder/landscaper/groundworker, we call cement "dust" mortar a "gauge" and ballast/cement i.e concrete muck or a mix.

Oh dear indeed.  These trade jargons are ok for the trade but will only confuse novices.  Maybe that's the idea.   :wink:   Next you'll be telling them to go and ask for a 'long stand' or a glass hammer.

I've never heard of cement being called dust, or mortar called a gauge.  I agree that concrete is sometimes called a mix, but I thought muck was what horses produced and what you spread on your allotment.

I recall being assured that it would be frowned upon and result in a fail mark in City & Guilds welding exams if a gas cylinder was referred to as a gas bottle.  Still, loads of people call it a bottle.

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
Cement tips
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 10:07 »
Quote from: "Leaf"

Oh dear indeed.  These trade jargons are ok for the trade but will only confuse novices.  Maybe that's the idea.   :wink:   Next you'll be telling them to go and ask for a 'long stand' or a glass hammer.

I've never heard of cement being called dust, or mortar called a gauge.  I agree that concrete is sometimes called a mix, but I thought muck was what horses produced and what you spread on your allotment.

I recall being assured that it would be frowned upon and result in a fail mark in City & Guilds welding exams if a gas cylinder was referred to as a gas bottle.  Still, loads of people call it a bottle.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Cement tips
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 17:15 »
And I thought lime was southerners put in their lager  :roll:  never thought of using it in building.  :shock:
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

poultrygeist

Cement tips
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 18:35 »
Quote from: "Aidy"
And I thought lime was southerners put in their lager  :roll:  never thought of using it in building.  :shock:

:lol:  :lol:

Leaf

• Experienced Member
Cement tips
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 21:35 »
My point to my last post was not to confuse but to merely state it doesnt matter what you call it as long as you/anyone else knows what you mean
Mal 8)

xx
Out of date Cement

Started by nwalch on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post February 09, 2011, 21:49
by Tenhens
xx
housy cement problem

Started by chrissie B on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post August 26, 2007, 11:07
by chrissie B
clip
Allotment Greenhouse - Best base without cement use?

Started by walterfilbert on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post January 24, 2020, 16:52
by rowlandwells
xx
Waterproofing corrugated asbestos/cement sheets

Started by wendyg on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post April 07, 2011, 20:32
by RichardA

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 38 queries.