What are you reading while stuck?

• 27 Replies

WeavingGryphon

What are you reading while stuck?
« on: April 04, 2020, 08:06 »
After my 12 posts marathon of what kindle food books are discounted this month-12 posts, not 12 books I was wondering, what is everyone reading or listening to?

I'm forever flicking between books so I'm reading a few by James Wong- I'm flicking between his books to help me cultivate or pick plant varieties better. John's allotment and growing in pots books and the 2020 Almanac which is so interesting. Although it's a pity they've pruned some of the sun/tide places to exclude most of Scotland in favour of Ireland this year. They could have added places rather than taking away the one port.

Novels The smile of the Wolf. I've read it, but it's that good I'm reading it again.

Audio books I'm listening to "False Value" and "The Golden thread"-the history of cloth and how it's built civilisation. Interesting content.

Modify, share your music if you like as well.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 08:12 by WeavingGryphon »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: What are you reading while stuck?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 08:47 »
All 8 of Diana Gabaldon's books (AGAIN) in 2020 and they are big books - but what a storyteller she is, wonderful! I'm desperately waiting for the next one (come on, GB get a move on!)
I've just finished Black Wind by Clive Cussler, which is like a James Bond story, not my usual style but made a change.
How to Walk Away by Katherine Center, good chick-lit with a twist, it's about a recently disabled woman.
Plague by C.C. Humphreys, a whodunit set in plague-hit London, ok, but I've been spoilt by Diana Gabaldon  ::)
Unto Us a Son Is Given - Donna Leon. Another favourite author, police series set in Venice #28.

Right now I'm about a third of the way into The Hidden Oasis by Paul Sussman and I'm enjoying it so far. A mix of Indiana Jones meets Ancient Egypt :D

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 14:00 »
I don't do E books or have a kindle.   I love going to the library, the touch of the pages, the smell of the paper (now people don't smoke into them !), wondering who read the story before me, and did they enjoy it.
Suspecting a book shortage, I stockpiled from the Church and St B's and my library, thank goodness.   Thrillers are my choice.  I may eventually have to start the same ones over again, but because I only read at night time it doesn't really matter.  When I read them again, I will have forgotten the story anyway  :lol: :lol: Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 16:29 »
I don't do E books or have a kindle.   I love going to the library, the touch of the pages, the smell of the paper (now people don't smoke into them !), wondering who read the story before me, and did they enjoy it.
Suspecting a book shortage, I stockpiled from the Church and St B's and my library, thank goodness.   Thrillers are my choice.  I may eventually have to start the same ones over again, but because I only read at night time it doesn't really matter.  When I read them again, I will have forgotten the story anyway  :lol: :lol: Mrs Bouquet

We can't get to an open library so we'd be stuffed.

Your missing out on "The Slug Prince", where a slug who is convinced he's a prince needs a kiss to turn back and is trying to get said kiss off you. It's down as Eldest's homework for "read a book and write down who is the main character".

I'm onto QI's facts book because it was on the Monthly sale, soo funny.

MrsPea

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 17:10 »
I also don't do e books or have a kindle like Mrs B lots come from second hand shops, other half gets his from ebay 10 or 20 at a time same author i wouldn't like that, We make a point of reading most afternoons for a while . :)
I Love my green house

wighty

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 17:14 »
Our Libraries aren't open and I finished my books last week so have started re-reading what we have on our shelves.  Full set of Terry Pratchets (including a signed first edition of Guards! Guards!)  Haven't read The Hobbit or Lord of The Rings for a few years now so may re-visit them and then we have all the Harry Potters.  Shouldn't run out of material as I could always dip into Paul's Sci-fi.

GraciesGran

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 07:10 »
Found a book by Quentin Jardine, detective story, quite gory but makes good reading.  We have hundreds of.books, going.on to the 39 Steps after.  Have read it before but it's a cracker.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 11:57 »
I do miss my libraries now they are closed.  These things were taken for granted - but now.   They did email me to say my books are now dated indefinitely.    Mrs Bouquet

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 16:25 »
Unfortunately all my books are packed up at my daughters whilst my son & family are living with us so unobtainable. Mind you it would be nice to have the time or the peace & quiet to sit & read lol
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 21:34 »
For some unknown reason, I get drawn to our Cottage Hospital Charity shop in the village on most occasions.

They actually compete with the library a few yards away, and over the years, I've amassed a collection of all sorts of books, which is a Godsend at the moment!

Latest read is Charles Cumming - "A colder war", and as his other stories have been riveting, it'll need a good seeing to when I get 'into' it!

What I tend to do, is just read them, then give them back to re-sell, - you never know when you might need our fabulous Cottage Hospital...

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2020, 08:43 »
Unfortunately all my books are packed up at my daughters whilst my son & family are living with us so unobtainable. Mind you it would be nice to have the time or the peace & quiet to sit & read lol

Podcasts from the BBC?

We had a baking day so I had a look on the BBC sounds website and made a list.

Nature Table, what few are left, the Kitchen Cabinet, The Food programme, In Our Times, Out of Doors, Your Dead to me (really funny History programme, it's adult horrible histories without singing) and A History of The World in 100 Objects.

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 08:56 »
I’ve never done a podcast so if I get through the list of jobs i might give that a try. I have 1 book that I was bought for Christmas that I found yesterday

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2020, 12:00 »
Big thanks to Mr Dog I am engrosed in the courses on the photo site.
Spent last night watching and taking notes on street photography, something Blackpool during the summer has loads of potential, played with the camera this morning and got the settings sorted, using a remote shutter release I should be avle to go out (when bacj to normal) and some good shots without anyone knowing.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2020, 15:42 »
Big thanks to Mr Dog I am engrosed in the courses on the photo site.
Spent last night watching and taking notes on street photography, something Blackpool during the summer has loads of potential, played with the camera this morning and got the settings sorted, using a remote shutter release I should be avle to go out (when bacj to normal) and some good shots without anyone knowing.

Sounds very 'Candid', Aidy, and thanks for the hint, as only this morning I was wondering about getting to grips with Photoshop (yet again), and have a project in mind...

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2020, 18:48 »
QI books and books about chicken recipes.

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 54 queries.