Light sussex

• 9 Replies

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
    • www.funkychickengifts.com
Light sussex
« on: June 14, 2008, 00:06 »
Does anyone have a light sussex and if so could you tell me what they're like i.e personality, egg layin, compatability with other chickens etc?

thanking you :D
Katt

Paddywack

• Experienced Member
Light sussex
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 08:48 »
Hi kattcottrell,

When I went to buy marans for my lotty (I had heard good things about them), I ended up buying an equal amounts of both Marans and Light Sussex at 1 and 2 weeks old.  

After 9 weeks I do prefer the Light Sussex, they have a better temperament, when we go in to their run they come to greet us, when we sit down they will come and sit on us (legs shoulders arms heads) and in general seem to be more sociable then the marans. They do fight with the Marans and each other but that’s just establishing the pecking order.

Can’t say about egg laying just yet, I’m sure someone will be along soon that can.

Hope that’s helps

treacleminer

Light sussex
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 09:16 »
Hi - got 2 light sussex at 18 weeks 3 weeks ago.  Not laying yet (not surprising) but have settled in quite quickly with my 4 other chickens although a bit nervy of them (pecking order being established).  Are noticeably larger than my other chooks which are all egg-laying hybrids.

Vember

Light sussex
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 10:41 »
Mine are great really friendly, can turn mine inside out an they don't bat an eye :)

I've had them nearly 3 years and still laying well, not sure how old they are I didn't get them pol so possible 5 years old !
Only snag with mine is they go broody quite a bit, but if like me you like to increase your flock with some babies this isn't a problem  :wink:

One of mine has raised me Guinea fowl, Ducks and even a goose  :lol:

VM

Light sussex
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 11:21 »
Does anyone know of a good source of  Light Sussex (or Rhode Island Red)? We're ready to get chickens and want some of either or both of these, but I'm having problems finding them - ideally want them at or near POL as we have some other birds (about to be hatched) lined up for later in the year.

We're in Manchester but prepared to travel to get them.

thanks for any suggestions!

Poolfield2

Light sussex
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 20:01 »
Hi Katt, have you found at the top of the page there is a list of poultry suppliers and I just checked there is one in Blackpool and one in Derbyshire listed, don't know anything about them but that's the best I can do.

I had light sussex for 5 years and they were lovely girls but they were very broody and tended to hide the eggs when running freerange. They were excellent "helpers" when I was gardening, they were always in the hole I was trying to dig. :lol:

mercury

Light sussex
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 20:36 »
Quote from: "VM"
Does anyone know of a good source of  Light Sussex (or Rhode Island Red)? We're ready to get chickens and want some of either or both of these, but I'm having problems finding them - ideally want them at or near POL as we have some other birds (about to be hatched) lined up for later in the year.

We're in Manchester but prepared to travel to get them.

thanks for any suggestions!

I've a lovely R.I.R. cockerill, your welcome to it vm :)

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
Light sussex
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 23:23 »
I had a light Sussex when I first started out with chickens it was the friendliest of them all and like perching on hubbys knee.  Unfortunately Mr ferret came one morning and had my sussex before she had started laying but I have heard they are reliable layers.

I have rir and they too are very friendly and have just hatched some rir x light sussex, pretty little things they are too.
40 hens, 8 cockerels, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 8 chinchillas, 2 teenage daughters and O/H

VM

Light sussex
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 11:22 »
Mercury, thanks very much for offer of RIR cockerel - but unfortunately we're  within city of Manchester and can't have cockerels - against city byelaws, though can have hens at the allotment, which is where they are going to be.

After trying and failing to find POL RIRs or Light Sussex near us, went to see very nice people near Blackburn and are getting their one-remaining RIR plus 2 Cream Legbars and 2 which are Welsumer/Legbar crosses (will be interesting to see what colour eggs they turn out).

Getting some later in the year which are Barnevelder/LSussex crosses and maybe also some which are RIR/LSussex crosses - so pleased to hear that yours are pretty, Chicken Soup!

mercury

Light sussex
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 21:39 »
No worries vm :wink:

xx
Age of my Light Sussex

Started by Gazchook on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 20, 2010, 08:38
by joyfull
xx
Light Sussex

Started by slowef on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2007, 21:07
by MontyTom
xx
R.I.R X LIGHT SUSSEX

Started by skyblue on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post December 11, 2007, 09:24
by chickenjohnok
xx
light sussex

Started by goshawk7 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 09, 2013, 12:57
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 35 queries.