Blueberries.

• 8 Replies

Benandbill

Blueberries.
« on: February 20, 2011, 16:23 »
We've bought a couple of bushes but understand they need to be planted in 'ericaceous'?!!? soil.  Tree surgeon's wood shavings are supposed to be good mixed up with compost.  Has anyone ever come across this sort of stuff in garden centres?

bigben

Re: Blueberries.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 16:38 »
You can buy ericaceous compost in bags the same as normal compost. As for tree surgeons shavings  - I have not heard that. I would think mixing wood with compost would tend to deplete nitrogen from the compost. I have heard you can mulch with pine needles as they help keep the soil acidic. You can also buy ericaceous feeds for plants - again to help maintain the acidity.

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 17:35 »
Hi Benandbill,I too have Blueberry bushes and I grow them in large pots of ericaceous compost. Used teabags help with acidity,but I dont know about the shavings. I Dont think they would do any harm and at the very least they will bulk up your growing medium.
people talk rubbish

MoreWhisky

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 17:45 »
Ive also heard coffee grinds are good for the soil condition they need, hope so as im saving mine up.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

SG6

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 19:06 »
Unless you have acidic soil then you will need to ger ericaceous compost and plant them in large pots/tubs.

Do not use tap water, it is too alkaline.

They like to be kept moist at all times so do not allow to dry out. Collect rain water but being in Wales that should not be a problem  :D :D :D

They are not small bushes so the bigger the pot the better.

Have used sawdust and had no problems. I put it on as a mulch to prevent water loss from the soil surface.

Benandbill

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 07:04 »
Thank you all for your replies.  I'll buy some of this ericaceous compost then.  Don't know where I'm going to get sawdust etc from.  Might have to just try a mix of the acidic stuff with normal soil / compost, and keep a bucket out the back to collect rain water.  SG6, do they really need to be kept moist at all times?

gillie

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 07:19 »
You are on the 'acid' side of the country and may not need to do anything special.

What is your normal soil like?  Do people around you grow heathers and rhododendrons without any trouble?  is your tap water soft or do you have trouble with lime deposits in your kettle?

Benandbill

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 18:59 »
Cheers Gillie.  I wouldn't recognise Rhododendrons or Heathers but my wife says they grow in peoples' gardens.  We haven't seen them wild.  The water here is definately not hard water and I don't know if we have a limey kettle.  Don't think we do though.  Well that's encouraging then.  As for my soil, it's the normal chestnut brown type, but with lots of stones unfortunately which apparently never go away as we're right by the river.  I noticed one of the experienced plot holders who's widely regarded as one of the best growers who's further away from the river, but nearer our stream, has a grey coloured soil.

Brambles

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 19:07 »
Thank you all for your tips... I too have bought a couple of blueberry bushes, I was going to plant in the ground... but will definitely now put them in large tubs... I have a large bag of wood chips (changed to hemcore for my chicken bedding) so will try those around the top of my blueberry bushes.   Now will have to get a couple more water butts to see them through the summer months!!!!

xx
Blueberries

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2011, 14:27
by JohnB47
xx
I would like some blueberries

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 07, 2013, 22:21
by Lardman
xx
Blueberries

Started by Terry on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 22, 2010, 08:34
by Terry
xx
Blueberries

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 14, 2012, 09:33
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.387 seconds with 38 queries.