Flubenvet...

• 45 Replies

poultrygeist

Re: Flubenvet...
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 21:28 »
Thank you everyone for your replies  :)  We've had the girls for around four months but thought that they'd been wormed already as they were vacinated. I found a long thin wiry worm  :tongue2: in some kind of 'fluid' in their pen this morning which has spurred me on to buy the wormer. I thought they only needed worming every six months but maybe more often is advisable? Our girlies eat layers mash so I'm hoping to get a good mix of flubenvet in there? I've been wondering if they get the daily 'dose' of flubenvet in one 'meal' or whether I have to spread it over the day divided between each bowl of mash, if that makes sense?

Jan.x

With layers' pellets, you can mix it with about half their daily feed and when they've had it all, you can top it up. That way you know they've had it all between them, as long as there's not a hen being bullied away from the feeder (maybe split between two feeders?).
I presume you can mix the same with mash as pellets but it's just a simple mixture rather than having to mess about coating the pellets by hand.

7 consecutive days.

Good luck  :)

Rob

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 21:43 »
Thank you Rob, I will mix it that way. Very luckily none of our girls are bullies and there seems to be no pecking order. One or two may be a little greedier than the others but I expect it all evens out over the 7 days.

Jan.x

hillfooter

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 22:26 »
[[/quote]

With layers' pellets, you can mix it with about half their daily feed and when they've had it all, you can top it up. That way you know they've had it all between them, as long as there's not a hen being bullied away from the feeder (maybe split between two feeders?).
I presume you can mix the same with mash as pellets but it's just a simple mixture rather than having to mess about coating the pellets by hand.

7 consecutive days.

Good luck  :)

Rob
[/quote]

Hmmm there's a bit of a problem here with the, put it all in the morning feed method.  The ammount of medication is meant to balance with the quantity of feed therefore there's no "daily allowance of Flubenvet.  Each chicken is meant to be dosed according to weight and feed intake is a reasonable measure of this.   If you try and give a daily dose how much Flubenvet do you put in the morning feed without knowing how much they are going to eat in the afternoon?  Also you are assuming birds eat evenly through the day whereas one bird might eat more in the pm and another more in the am so they won't be getting a proportional amount of the medication.  It's far easier to make up your weeks supply of feed in one batch (keep it in a storage bin) and just keep feeding that untill the weeks up, what could be simpler.  Flubenvet lasts for about 2 months in a feed so no problems about it losing its effectiveness. 

With mash I guess you'd need to stir it each time you used it to keep it evenly mixed.
Truth through science.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 23:03 »
The larger the birds the more they will consume of the medicated feed so getting the correct dose BUT...

my hens freerange about my garden and on some days eat almost no chicken feed.  I therefore give flubenvet to them all in one go at the same time each day on a treat -  chopped grapes usually"

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2009, 06:29 »
on sweetcorn for mine, like yours auntie as mine free range so somedays they eat so little of their pellets
Staffies are softer than you think.

hillfooter

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2009, 13:06 »
The larger the birds the more they will consume of the medicated feed so getting the correct dose BUT...

my hens freerange about my garden and on some days eat almost no chicken feed.  I therefore give flubenvet to them all in one go at the same time each day on a treat -  chopped grapes usually"

I'm not sure that this method of administering Flubenvet would be effective against all the species of worms it is intended to kill.  For example worms which live in a chx digestive tract get their nourishment from the part digested food the chx eat.   Only medicating a single meal means the worms will not be exposed to the medication continuously over the 7 days.  (Note This scenario is not the same for those which get their norishment from the digested food or blood stream for which the uneven application of medication is smoothed out by the chx metabolism).  I have checked this point with Madeleine McVie of Janssen Animal Health and below is a paste of the emails.  Obviously if you don't want to curtail the chx frree ranging livestyle during the treatment you will have to risk that the medication they are getting is sufficient.  See below  which you can make of it what you wish.
Regards

"Subject: RE: Flubenvet - medicating the feed

Thanks for your reply Madeleine,

I’ve been using Flubenvet for many years now and I certainly follow your advice with my own chickens and advise people who buy birds from me to use it in the manner you suggest.  However I know some chicken keepers who believe because their birds free range and don’t eat so much fed feed they aren’t getting the correct medication so they offer a daily allowance in a single treat feed.  I’m concerned that as Flubenvet treats a broad spectrum of worms some of which live in the digestive tract and get exposed to the medication from the part digested food the chicken has eaten.  Feeding the daily allowance in a single meal will mean that these worms are exposed to a higher concentration after eating the medicated feed and have no exposure at all at other times.  Would this be detrimental in killing the worms, ie would allowing the worms access to unmedicated feed, rather than continuously medicated feed, during the worming period allow them to survive the treatment?

Best regards
Terry

Good morning Terry

Thanks for your email.

As I’m not sure how these owners would be calculating what a days medication is, I cannot say whether the chickens would be dosed at the correct rate so I would advise against this method of dosing.  
The higher levels in a single feed won’t do the animal any harm, however it is not clear if they would be getting the full dose as needed and are therefore not being fully wormed.

For free range chickens, we recommend confining them for the week of treatment, to ensure they are only fed the medicated feed.  We have not done trials using only one medicated feed per day so I cannot give you a definitive answer to your query, other than to say we don’t recommend it.

I hope this helps

Kind regards"

Madeleine McVey
Animal Health Technical Advisor
Finance Administrator
Janssen Animal Health
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 13:17 by hillfooter »

pinkladies

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2009, 13:57 »
Hi my girly`s are coming up to six months and I thought i would worm them just in case as they free range around the garden! i started last Wednesday so finish tomorow .I have been putting a pinch on a grape and hand feeding one at a time so making sure each of my six girls get dosed they love grapes so it`s realy easy. Whats interesting is that once I started the course I could see worms in thier poo ( yuk yuk ! ) so I guess not only did they need doing but the Flubenvet must be working , when should I think about doseing them again , six months ? or just keep an eye on thier poo ! ......Shirley

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2009, 17:38 »
It is fine the way I outlined hillfooter.  OH is a parasitologist and spend his life with poo :lol:  He regularly checks samples for me so I know it works that way :) 

... but thanks for taking the trouble to ask them.  It's another case of "we haven't done the right tests so can't give an answer"  also I trust OH more than a finance administrator ::) ;)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 18:47 by Aunt Sally »

hillfooter

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2009, 18:05 »
Well I wouldn't want to quarrel with your OH Auntie so I suppose if you've found this works, all well and good.
 Regards

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2009, 18:11 »
mine have their daily dose on sweetcorn this way I know they have had their share  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2009, 18:43 »
Thanks hillfooter - he saves human lives too not just chickens  :lol:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 18:47 by Aunt Sally »

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2009, 18:07 »
My Flubenvet arrived today and after reading instructions it all semmed fairly complicated to my aged brain  :wacko: Quantity x 6 gram per food batch for four girlies or per girl etc? I think I'm going for the easier option of dosing their sweetcorn as they gobble every last bit of this up. As for their mash we have one girl who ignores it at breakfast until she's had a good hunt around for lurking worms, slugs etc. so I'm thinking she wouldn't get as much as the others at breakfast.  :blink:

Jan.x

rossivale

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2009, 19:10 »
Hi

Is the Flubenvet suitable for ducks too?

thanks Jo

too many girls

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2009, 19:21 »
Hi my girly`s are coming up to six months and I thought i would worm them just in case as they free range around the garden! i started last Wednesday so finish tomorow .I have been putting a pinch on a grape and hand feeding one at a time so making sure each of my six girls get dosed they love grapes so it`s realy easy. Whats interesting is that once I started the course I could see worms in thier poo ( yuk yuk ! ) so I guess not only did they need doing but the Flubenvet must be working , when should I think about doseing them again , six months ? or just keep an eye on thier poo ! ......Shirley

when you've finished doing yours, would you please come and do mine the same way? i have 104,
 bring your own grapes :D

raeburg

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2009, 19:23 »

when you've finished doing yours, would you please come and do mine the same way? i have 104,
 bring your own grapes :D
lol :)

xx
flubenvet 1%

Started by oneup555 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 03, 2010, 11:24
by joyfull
xx
Flubenvet

Started by stevefitz5 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 09:41
by Craig69
question
Flubenvet

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 21, 2010, 20:45
by orchardlady
xx
Flubenvet

Started by splash101 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post October 05, 2012, 16:49
by splash101

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 40 queries.