Organic pest control

• 43 Replies

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Organic pest control
« on: May 09, 2007, 21:45 »
Although I'm not organic, my biggest gripe is the use of pesticides on fruit and veg.

I thought it may be a good idea to create a thread with organic pest control in mind, I know there's bits all a round on the forum but might be handy in one place.

I've found a bacteria called Bacillus thuringiensis (BT) in a book by chase organics under organic pest control. It kills leaf eating caterpillars obviously great for your brassicas BUT not so good if you get it on wild flowers, nettles etc. Does any one have any experience of this one ? if so where can you get it from ?

So what do you organic peeps use for pest control, apart from covering every thing with fleece. ?
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

corndolly

• Experienced Member
Organic pest control
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 22:20 »
Sprays made from diluted nettle tea or  rhubarb leaves soaked till fermenting for whitefly.

If the plants are healthy and in good soil, I find that insects are not a big problem. In my experience insects tend to go for weak or sickly plants.

I have heard of collecting cabbage white caterpillars and making a disgusting solution by soaking them in water, then using this diluted on brassicas, have nt done this myself ! Supposed to scare off the dreaded egg laying butterfly.

encourage ladybirds and hoverflies into the garden, they will munch the nasties.
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Organic pest control
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 22:30 »
I don't bother to much with aphids etc, it's just the bloomin caterpillars I really hate ! and slugs, snails etc, but there relatively easy to deal with, slug pubs work fairly well.

Don't fancy the caterpillar goo idea either

shaun

Organic pest control
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 22:32 »
finger and thumb for caterpillars
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

WG.

Organic pest control
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 22:36 »
1. Badminton racket for the cabbage white butterflies.
2. Rub off any eggs or groups of baby caterpillars early.  
3. Any big caterpillars go into salty water.
Quote from: "cd"
If the plants are healthy and in good soil, I find that insects are not a big problem.
Totally agree

corndolly

• Experienced Member
Organic pest control
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 22:38 »
I cant do that yuk ! can pick them off and collect but then have to rely on the sole of my shoe and even look the other way !

Thank goodness we now have fleece and vironmesh , so dont need to scout for caterpillars.

Sam K.

Organic pest control
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 10:02 »
I’ve not tried the snail/slug pub why waste the beer? Instead go outside on a wet night whilst drinking the brew and just pick them off one by one.

I’ve not seen any snails for weeks…… with all this rain they seem to have come out in force! I must have disposed of around 40 last night

Rather than a snail pub we do use snail motels (upturned pot which they can hide during the day from the sun) you can then just pick it up and get rid of them. I see this as less of an atractant.

We also try to encourage frogs, toads etc. into the garden, some one told me ducks are good for eating slugs…… but after reading a thread about the devastation they can cause to your crops I’ve ruled this out.
Sam.

Organic with treated timber present.
What can you do? I don't want the house to fall down.

hermon

Organic pest control
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 13:42 »
am i the only one that can't kill anything i pick things off and hope for the birds to eat them! :wink:

agapanthus

Organic pest control
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 14:13 »
Quote from: "hermon"
am i the only one that can't kill anything i pick things off and hope for the birds to eat them! :wink:

.....no :oops:  :oops:  :)

splodger

Organic pest control
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 20:01 »
I've found a bacteria called Bacillus thuringiensis (BT) in a book by chase organics under organic pest control.

bacillus thuringiensis is indeed an effective caterpillar killer and is formulated as either bactospeine wp  or biobi t - it is available in satchety form that you can add to water and spray.

you should really spray when the eggs are being laid as parasite within it eats the new hatches as they emerge.

it also works on small caterpillars but is less effective on the big slimey ones that pop everywhere when you sqeaze them yum yum

king cauli

• Experienced Member
Organic pest control
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 17:53 »
home made chilli pepper spray made with a few mashed and steeped scotch bonnets,i sent some through a compressor round the greenhouse,i was choking and crying my eyes out,and so were the red spider mite :lol:
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q102/kingcauli/th_thc.jpg[/img]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q102/kingcauli/caulicow.jpg[/img]

Vit

• Experienced Member
Re: Organic pest control
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 05:09 »
Bumping up another old thread. If anyone else interested in pesticides made of chilli/garlic/etc? One of my neiboroughs using homemade spray based on chilli pepper and alcohol( the other day at bbq party we tried to drink some :D ). Any other recipes?
Thanks in advance

Swing Swang

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 07:23 »
10% milk solution with 1 drop of detergent to act as a surfactant. Sprayed onto squash every four days helps to keep powdery mildew at bay late in the season. In practice I find that it's enough to slow down the spread of powdery mildew for about three weeks which is enough to allow end of season squash to ripen on the vine. A couple of table spoons of baking powder and a tablespoon of orange/citrus essential oil into a gallon of the mix increases its efficacy. I don't bother with the last ingredient though.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 09:33 »
Just a reminder that site policy is not to recommend 'home made' pesticides as they are technically illegal and most are untested scientifically.
So think before trying any weird and wonderful mixes on your plot  :unsure:

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 10:57 »
Ummm is this site sponsored by chemical companies?  ::)
The question is - is anyone using homemade pesticides and what sort of pesticides
They been tested by generations of farmers before DDT-epoche and known as quite well working stuff. By some reasons these natural matters quietly forgotten.  :blush:

xx
organic pest control

Started by doubledug on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 16:32
by peterjf
xx
pest control

Started by ESSEX GRAY on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 14:58
by mumofstig
xx
pest control

Started by deano123 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 20:38
by Ice
xx
Pest Control

Started by andrewandkaren on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 19, 2010, 13:55
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 30 queries.