What a relief to get out

• 7 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

What a relief to get out
« on: December 18, 2017, 16:03 »
I don't know about other members but we've had a 10-day cold snap with all hard surfaces icy and ground frozen solid. Today there's been a gentle thaw all day which has enabled me to do some mundane jobs like harvesting leek, parsnip and celeriac, sweep the yard and tidy the greenhouse. The weather is forecast to stay mild right through Christmas so muck-spreading, digging and more harvesting is on the menu.
I hadn't realised how hooked I am on outdoor exercise until the last week

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
Re: What a relief to get out
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 16:06 »
I don't think we have had it as bad as you have, but the ground is very wet after the thaw. It was too slippery to go out for a couple of days.

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 09:10 »
its was foggy damp and dismal here went out to the farm to get some holly for my O/H to make Christmas decretive pots in the greenhouse talking of which I lit the fire in the greenhouse it was smoking like hell across the road my mate came up and said it reminded him of the London smog

I thought I mite have to put it out but found the chimney was partly blocked cleaned it out and away she went when it got going it was really warm in there still a bit of smoke but nothing to worry about cut up plenty of old wood to burn its lovely sitting and working with a real fire

ps no more London smog fingers crossed :D

Christine

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 14:47 »
I'm with Alan. However the thaw has produced a morass rather than beds so the thriving weeds will have to stay. How does chickweed and hairy bitter cress survive 10 days of temperatures below zero when the fennel was defeated.

madcat

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 15:13 »
Just going in to the local market and seeing people and walking about freely lifted my spirits.  I hadnt realised just how stir crazy I was getting ...
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Aled

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 10:23 »
I get where you are coming from big time, I've gone out for a walk in the pouring rain before now, I need it God's Prozac...better known as fresh air and a bit of exercise!!
Cheers
Aled

oldgrunge

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 20:35 »
Finally got out today to start fitting new boards on one of my raised beds. You really don't realise how much you miss the outdoors until you get out there.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 21:18 »
I've had a really pleasant day outside. Washed both of our cars, harvested a couple more celeriac, one of which was the size of a football, swept the stable yard so clean you could eat your tea off it and did an hour of weeding

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 38 queries.