Thanks santa, heated greenhouse help!

• 6 Replies

Totty

Thanks santa, heated greenhouse help!
« on: December 25, 2010, 21:54 »
Merry Christmas All,

I have been really lucky this year, some solar rock lights to go up the lottie around the chickens to make life easier when its dark, a lovelly wooden growhouse to act as a cold frame, and also somewhere to bring on seedlings, and a parafinn greenhouse heater!

The heater really is something i have wanted for a while and i would love to grow some huge onions (more fore pleasure than show) which by tradition would require sowing tommorrow. I read the instuctions eagerly, left the wicks for an hour to soak up the fuel, lit it, half hour later its gone out and the wick that is sticking out is black and totally burnt looking. So i wound some more fresh wick out and lit it. Its still going but does anybody have one of these and how long does it take before the wick needs winding on usually? Im new to the whole heated greenhouse thing but i hope it will give me lots of early sowing options. Any advice appreciated!!

Totty

Nikkithefoot

Re: Thanks santa, heated greenhouse help!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 23:11 »
It can be a bit of an art form getting the wicks to burn easily and cleanly. Once lit the wick needs to be turned down so that there is a blue flame only showing. You might want to check a couple of times after 15 mins and again after about an hour. In my heater there was usually enough for 24 hours of burning but only just. I tended only to use it at night. Thus I didn't 'need' to wind the wick on until I relit it at night if you see what I mean.

Does that make sense?
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Totty

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 11:28 »
Yep that does make sense. the model is Parasene super warm 4, when i looked this morning it was still just about lit, so i wound it up slightly, when i just went out it was out. Like you say i guess you need to get it burning, without getting so fierce that it burns for an hour then burns out. Got no wick left at all now so need to find somewhere that sells it. Any ideas? aA case of keep trying i think.

Totty

thecakebaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 13:36 »
hi are you using the heater in your greenhouse at home or at your lottie.....

adal

• Man Of the World
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 15:24 »

Totty

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 13:06 »
It will be at home, but i put up the grow house yesterday that i was given and by leaving the lowest shelf out i can put the heater in there. If and when i eventually get the heater working it will be easier to get the small growhouse upto a decent temp than the greenhouse i reckon.

Totty

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 10:48 »
Yep that does make sense. the model is Parasene super warm 4, when i looked this morning it was still just about lit, so i wound it up slightly, when i just went out it was out. Like you say i guess you need to get it burning, without getting so fierce that it burns for an hour then burns out. Got no wick left at all now so need to find somewhere that sells it. Any ideas? aA case of keep trying i think.

Totty

If you have used a wick in a matter of days then you are definitely doing something wrong. A wick should last for several weeks if not a whole season or more. I recall only replacing my wick after the third year of use (but it was only used from Jan -Apr and only at night, unless very cold during the day)

If you are planning to use it in a plastic grow house be very careful as if it gets windy overnight there is a risk of everything going over and melting / burning the plastic plus whatever combustibles are nearby.

xx
heated propogators

Started by tublet on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 21, 2007, 21:51
by tublet
xx
Heated Propagators

Started by The Red Baron on Equipment Shed

17 Replies
Last post January 30, 2014, 16:07
by wil4025
xx
VP 190 heated propagator

Started by Salmo on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post April 20, 2015, 22:13
by Salmo
clip
Vitopod Heated Propagators

Started by luke34 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 05, 2016, 07:35
by Robster

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 39 queries.