Do I look as smug as I feel?

• 5 Replies

peggyprice

« on: May 17, 2008, 18:59 »
This morning I picked up some wooden fruit boxes from my local greengrocers; then I lined one of them with the plastic bag that I brought my meat home from the butchers in; I filled it with some gorgeous soil from a friend's organic raised bed that's being dismantled before she moves; and planted up the seedlings I've raised from the free mixed salad leaf seeds I got when I went to Harlow Carr for an RHS event that I would have got in to for free even if I hadn't been a member.  Then I watered them with my first rainwater harvest from my water butt.

Frugal?  Yup.

Smug?  Definitely  :lol:
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

agapanthus

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 19:09 »
Good on ya Peggy!!!! ;)

dereklane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 20:46 »
on the compost thing, I've found where the local council dumps the leaves each winter, and now get some really nice really old composted leaf mould. I clear the stones out by sifting it and use it to grow my seedling in, and for potting up. It seems to be doing a good job, and completely free, and smells, looks and feels far nicer than a lot of the compost you get from the shop :)

I like the idea of the wooden fruit boxes. I might look for some too. Thanks for the tip.

cheers,

Derek

peggyprice

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 21:02 »
Quote from: "dereklane"
I like the idea of the wooden fruit boxes. I might look for some too. Thanks for the tip.

I asked for them on Freecycle thinking they'd be like goldust - within ten minutes got an email from our local greengrocer - turns out they have piles of them sitting outside in their yard & are delighted to see them go to a good home!

And as an added bonus I have a suspicion the slugs won't like the roughness of the wood and may just leave my leaves alone this year - result!  :lol:

peggyprice

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 23:48 »
Quote from: "peggyprice"

And as an added bonus I have a suspicion the slugs won't like the roughness of the wood and may just leave my leaves alone this year - result!  :lol:

Hate to tempt fate ... but after a week of wet, warm weather, my salad leaves to date remain untouched by all bar one rather small snail  :lol:   Me happy bunny  :lol:  :lol:

weeeed

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 23:46 »
Good for you Peggy and thankyou for the tip. I will visit my local fruit shop tomorrow and see whether I can get any joy. :wink:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 38 queries.