Aspergillus news

• 6 Replies

muddifoot

• Experienced Member
Aspergillus news
« on: June 13, 2008, 08:34 »
reading on the bbc news today there is an article on aspergilli and a man dieing from it.  I think anyone who moves a lot of rotting wood and plant compost should make sure they read this article-

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Aspergillus news
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 08:44 »
I've corrected your spelling in the topic title Muddy, hope you don't mind  :D

Aspergillus Niger - long time since I studied that at college in microbiology.

Always used  to be called "Farmers Lung" which many people may know about -  Especially Joe Grundy  :lol:

muddifoot

• Experienced Member
Aspergillus news
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 08:53 »
-  thanks aunt sally what would I do without you - I'm always hurrying and I didn't read it before I sent it through.  I do think its something we should always be aware of-as last summer on a really hot windy day my friend and i were getting council compost from the heap and making a path-she dumped the barrow and I spread and the dust from it was horrible- the next day my throat was sore and I suffered from this for about 3 weeks- with bouts now and then after.  and it really worried me -so now i'm wondering if thats the sort of thing that starts it-

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Aspergillus news
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 09:43 »
Aspergillosis develops quite slowly unless you are immunocompromised and then it can be very serious.  Frequent exposure as with farmers will make it more of a risk.

But if you are at all worried your doctor can have tests done !

WirralWally

• Experienced Member
Aspergillus news
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 10:16 »
Here is the BBC News item:

CLICKY
The successes and failures of each year keep me motivated for the following year.

crowndale

Aspergillus news
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 12:13 »
My daughter had a very severe reaction to mould spores once, would have died had we not just happened to have popped our heads round the door last thing to check on her.  very scarey.  I had had no idea until then that fungus and mould etc could be that serious.  had never occurred to me that it would be a problem in the garden either!  hmm, food for thought.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Aspergillus news
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 12:26 »
An allergy to mould spores is quite common and is particularly a problem in the autumn.  It's effects are similar to  hay fever.  It's quite a different condition to aspergillosis though.

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 35 queries.