weeds

• 10 Replies

mfconway

weeds
« on: June 02, 2008, 17:14 »
urgent advice needed
my new allotment was partly dug for me when I got it back in feb this year now one side (not dug for years) and paths and sides are over run with weeds and grass, I am being talked about, I have just been told! but not in a nasty way never the less I am. what is the best way to make it look under control, newk it, strim it, or run, I have no one to help me
as my daughter who said she would help has dumped me for a new boyfriend.

tweeky

weeds
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 17:23 »
Beegly.

Sorry about your plight.

My suggestion would be...hire a gas gun and cylinder to kill off the existing weeds and grass.

It wont cost much..they are very easy to use. Strimming is not the best bet, as you wont be able to strim everything off, so after a few weeks it will revert to the way it is now.

Yea you could nuke em, but that will probably affect the soil.

mfconway

weeds
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 22:00 »
thanks tweaky
never thought of that just, got in from strimming as much as i can tonight, a near plot holder so me and came over and said can I have a go what a wonderful lot most plot holders are. I will tell hubby your idea ( hubby is disabled and unable to help) again thanks.
Margaret

ps sorry have to switch of tonight mother-in-law needs the bedroom.

Porffor

weeds
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 22:20 »
You could go for the low effort method and cover the area.. thus blocking light.. and getting dead weeds in time.. with no effort. :)

Not sure if you are allowed on your allotment.

If an entire plot is too much, perhaps you could ask your Friendly allotment neighbours if they want to use the space (free of course). ;) just an idea.. they'd do the hard work, use the space and next year you could review the idea. ;)

tweeky

weeds
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 00:07 »
Quote from: "mfconway"
thanks tweaky
never thought of that just, got in from strimming as much as i can tonight, a near plot holder so me and came over and said can I have a go what a wonderful lot most plot holders are. I will tell hubby your idea ( hubby is disabled and unable to help) again thanks.
Margaret

ps sorry have to switch of tonight mother-in-law needs the bedroom.

Beegly.

No probs lass. I had quite a large bank at the bottom of my garden full of weeds...led down to a stream...the gas gun worked really well.              

I too am disabled so it was great for me. No bending down or spraying etc.

peggyprice

Re: weeds
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 09:01 »
I have no one to help me

Get the new boyfriend to help ... tell him it's part of the deal if he wants to see your daughter  :wink:  :lol:  :wink:
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

mfconway

weeds
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 19:54 »
some lovely advice thanks to all
ps, I panicked yesterday thought Id have to retire before I had really got going. When the rain stops I think I will have a go with the gas gun, the boyfriend not sure about lol got to size him up yet!
again thanks for the support
Margaret

dugless

Re: weeds
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 21:03 »
Quote from: "peggyprice"
I have no one to help me

Get the new boyfriend to help ... tell him it's part of the deal if he wants to see your daughter  :wink:  :lol:  :wink:

Good way to see if he is keen or just brousing :wink:
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

fletch

• Experienced Member
weeds
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 22:14 »
I've got my OH's 15 year old son and his mate coming for the weekend, so I'll have 2 15 year olds weeding from sun up to sun down for 2 days. Hopefully it will finally break the back of these damn weeds.

Oh and btw, they aren't just going it out of love, I have to pay them both £25 quid a day....... EACH  :shock:
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

tweeky

weeds
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 01:33 »
Quote from: "fletch"
I've got my OH's 15 year old son and his mate coming for the weekend, so I'll have 2 15 year olds weeding from sun up to sun down for 2 days. Hopefully it will finally break the back of these damn weeds.

Oh and btw, they aren't just going it out of love, I have to pay them both £25 quid a day....... EACH  :shock:

Bu.gger that for a game of soldiers, just feed em...mind you, might cost you more, heh,heh. :wink:

If you have to pay them, then make sure they buy their own food and you also want a contribution towards electricity etc....cheeky sods.

fletch

• Experienced Member
weeds
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 10:19 »
Hmmmmmm, well I've discovered one distinct downside to getting 2 lads to do your weeding...........they don't know sh*t from Shinola when it comes to differentiating between weeds and veg plants.

Hence my Jerusalem artichokes have all been ripped up  :twisted:

Serves me right for being lazy I guess.

question
Are these weeds?

Started by Dkang on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post May 10, 2017, 23:44
by gobs
xx
Weeds, weeds, weeds!

Started by Steve.P on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post October 20, 2008, 12:39
by compostqueen
xx
weeds in the lane...

Started by eli on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2011, 23:01
by Trillium
xx
your worst weeds

Started by Selkie on General Gardening

20 Replies
Last post November 14, 2007, 09:56
by Selkie

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 38 queries.