Office plants

• 7 Replies

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Office plants
« on: October 14, 2015, 17:05 »
I recently moved desks to one with a little more light (I am under a skylight before it was no natural light and only good for spider plants).
Would the following survive/thrive?
African Violet
Christmas cactus
Mother in law tongue
Gloxinia
Desert cactus
The above I all have at home - although anything else would be interesting

Also if anyone has any advice about dividing Gloxinia I would be grateful.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Office plants
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 21:49 »
I'm pretty sure C Cactus would be OK; don't know about the others.

Doesn't MIL tongue have those really spiky leaves?  If so, I'd advise against it in the office environment.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 09:28 »
I'm pretty sure C Cactus would be OK; don't know about the others.

Doesn't MIL tongue have those really spiky leaves?  If so, I'd advise against it in the office environment.
They are not spiky more sharp, they are not dangerous.

Eblana

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 10:37 »
The Mother in laws tongue should do fine.  We had a beautiful mother in laws tongue in the office I used to work in, until the brought in some crowd to fung shui the office and we were told it was bad fung shui to have pointy plants!!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 12:29 »
I used to grow African violets fine in my office, and even propagated baby ones from the leaves in there.  And our offices had shaded windows, you know the ones that are brownish tinted.  I've also grew coleus, and Prince of Wales feathers (can't think of their proper name at the moment!)  Oh and I had a begonia once and lots of ferns

Flowertot

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 23:00 »
I have a peace lilly on my office desk as they like light but not direct sunlight. It does well  :).

LandShark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 08:12 »
Any of the plants listed would be OK. Try them. I used to maintain plants in Call centres/offices and the main problem we had was people in the office overwatering them or giving them tea & coffee which caused flies. Some office windows also have a uv filter coated on the glass which stopped the light getting in. Also some companies turn the heating off at weekends and holidays.
Cacti & Succulents will survive almost anywhere as will MILT. But beware MILT if it starts to rot they stink, even after washing your hands umpteen times!

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 11:10 »
Any of the plants listed would be OK. Try them. I used to maintain plants in Call centres/offices and the main problem we had was people in the office overwatering them or giving them tea & coffee which caused flies. Some office windows also have a uv filter coated on the glass which stopped the light getting in. Also some companies turn the heating off at weekends and holidays.
Cacti & Succulents will survive almost anywhere as will MILT. But beware MILT if it starts to rot they stink, even after washing your hands umpteen times!
True we have a Christmas shutdown so I might take my Christmas cacti home however Spider plants can survive that (if a spider plant doesn't survive in your office then you probably shouldn't be there).

xx
Plants for the office

Started by londongardener on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post June 03, 2013, 14:36
by londongardener
xx
Office plants

Started by londongardener on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post December 20, 2014, 10:59
by Goosegirl
xx
Office plants

Started by purplebean on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post September 12, 2010, 19:16
by sloegin
xx
House / Office Plants

Started by TTG on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 22:43
by cissie

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 35 queries.