Greenhouses

• 8 Replies

JazzyJ

Greenhouses
« on: July 29, 2009, 18:38 »
Hi

I am thinking about getting a greenhouse, but am very new to gardening/allotments and don't know where to start.

Have you got any recommendations?

Thinking of getting a 8 x 10

Any advice gratefully received.

Ta

J
x

Faz

• Experienced Member
Re: Greenhouses
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 19:32 »
Work out how much space you think you'll need, based on how many growbags you want to fit in. And then ignore that and get at least the next size up (as long as funds allow of course!!).  :tongue2:

Other tips

- Build a low wall to site the greenhouse on, using bricks or timbers, to increase the height - more room for your tomatoes and more room for you so you dont whack your head all the time!!

- make sure everything is square, then check again before fixing the greenhouse to the base, because it is really difficult to glaze if any of the angles aren't squared properly.

- If you want to use the gutters to fill a water butt make sure you have a slight fall from one end to the other.

Er.... that's all I can think of, probably some other tipsters will be along soon!!

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 19:37 »
I think you've pretty much got it there Faz!  :D

I'd add; think about what material you want to glaze it with.  polycarbonate won't break but it's more expensive and is lighter so if you are in a particularly windy area you'd need to take that into consideration too.  Ditto if you go for one of the polytunnel types.

Glass is generally easier to get hold of, especially if you can get hold of windows that are being removed and replaced with the UPVC types; if you can cut glass, or know someone who can then this will really cut down on your costs.  Large panes of modern glass are generally less useful because they have often been laminated to stregnthen them.

Good luck in your search and let us know how you get on :)

Gwiz

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 19:46 »
If you don't have too many problems from vandals, then go for glass. It's easier to clean, heavier for windy conditions, won't tear, you can just replace one pane if it breaks, and I think I'm right in saying, it allows more light to get in ( but I'm sure someone else will say it doesn't )
Do put it down on on bricks or sleepers as already suggested, it does make all the difference to how many bandages you need for your head!

savbo

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 20:15 »
endorsing Gwiz's comment about making sure it's square - measure the diagonals, look at all the right angles - then try a pane of glass in every gap BEFORE your start glazing - cos I did the first 2 (I thought) and it's still a bit wonky!

not the end of the world but it would be easier if it was all square :)

M

JazzyJ

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 20:44 »
Thanks for the great tips, that has given me and hubby some things to think about.

Do you have any recommendations as to which make is a good one, we are looking at a Halls Magnum, are they ok?

Also I have seen that they all need staging, what basics do you need, and what have you found to be useful?

J
x

Gwiz

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 21:13 »
Halls are good, at least everyone I know who has one is pleased with it.
As for staging, aluminium is better than most (IMHO). plastic types break down eventually, and it would be a pity to buy a good greenhouse that lets in a lot of light, and then blot out that light by using a lot of timber in it......

you might want to have one area with a permanent built in potting up bench, and other areas where you can plant directly into the soil on the floor. other people have the whole floor paved, and grow everything in pots. What ever you decide, remember that it gets very hot and very dry in a greenhouse very quickly, and you will no doubt want to using a shading material in the height of summer, and you might want to bare this in mind when thinking about how much you want to spend.......

The only other things you will need, will be pots, seed trays, lables and so on.
Once you get started, you'll realise how true Faz's statement was earlier..... It won't matter how big you buy, you'll wish you had bought a greenhouse twice the size in a couple of years.....
 :D

JazzyJ

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 08:37 »
Thats lots to be thinking about - thanks Gwiz  :D

Harry Flashman VC

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 09:16 »
Managed to aquire 2 greenhouses this year an old perspex and a glass one the glass is far better than the perspex one.  Getting rid of it come winter and on the look out for another glass one

xx
Greenhouses

Started by The Red Baron on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post May 12, 2013, 13:01
by The Red Baron
xx
B&Q greenhouses

Started by potatopotato on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post March 17, 2008, 18:27
by blue_cortina
xx
Pop-up greenhouses

Started by surbie100 on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post December 31, 2012, 12:33
by JayG
xx
greenhouses

Started by davethespread on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post January 01, 2010, 16:18
by davethespread

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 35 queries.