Chickens and dogs

• 19 Replies

gsc

• Experienced Member
Chickens and dogs
« on: May 19, 2010, 06:23 »
We have made a major decision this week, to offer half of our 2 acres to a local rescue centre free of charge.  We have still got to iron out all the details but on the whole I guess they will use the far acre and we will use the acre nearest the house.

This means I will probabaly want to fence off areas for chickens and planting but still leave most of the acre free for the dogs to run.

My question is, how much do I need to shelter the chickens from the noise and running of our dogs.  Obviously we won't let the dogs harrass them in any way but will they get used to the regular routine and our dogs running about and occasionally barking?

I've just put in a dozen fruit trees and was thinking that maybe I could mark off that area and have the chickens and coop within that?  Would that work?  We have tree protectors around them and it would be closest to the house which would work well I think.

Not sure what the rescue centre will put there yet but likely to be pigs, birds, maybe an odd donkey, hedghog and so on.  They take in anything that needs help.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 07:00 by gsc »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Chickens and dogs
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 06:51 »
chickens get used to their surroundings very quickly, I have a busy road next to me which doesn't bother mine, I also have two very large dogs and at first they were wary (especially when we got Ollie as she used to chase them) but now they are fine together (unless Ollie has a bone and the chickens want to peck at it  :lol:). So long as the dogs are well under control and not unaccomanpied all should be fine  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 07:01 »
Thanks Joyfull - things are looking good then :)

Pretty Chick

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 07:36 »
chickens get used to their surroundings very quickly, I have a busy road next to me which doesn't bother mine, I also have two very large dogs and at first they were wary (especially when we got Ollie as she used to chase them) but now they are fine together (unless Ollie has a bone and the chickens want to peck at it  :lol:). So long as the dogs are well under control and not unaccomanpied all should be fine  :)

Once again, I agree  :D
I've two yorkshire terriers and for the whole 3 years we have kept chickens, they haven't taken notice of them at all.
All lives are precious.

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 07:41 »
I've two yorkshire terriers and for the whole 3 years we have kept chickens, they haven't taken notice of them at all.
You mean the dogs ignore the chickens or vice versa?

We have Dobes and their naturally tendancy is to bark, one especially likes to chase birds.  It shouldn't be too hard to settle her down - when she spots a pigeon or blackbird she wants to chase it's kind of hard to get the bird to stay where it is until I make her understand it 's not allowed  ;) ::)

Chablis Dog

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 08:47 »
I have three dogs and the chicken paddock is right next to the fenced area around the house that the dogs run around in.  The elderly Deerhound ignores them.  The Springer has already found one small hole, got in and killed one of them, so extra measures were taken to prevent that happening again.  Then there is the hooligan rescued German Shorthaired Pointer - she spends all her time surveying the hens through the fence, even though I put green screening fabric up to stop her actually looking at them.  She runs up and down all day long and barks quite a lot at them even though she has about an acre complete with large pond to amuse her, the hens are the best fun.  They ignore her completely!  So basically as long as the hens and dogs are kept securely apart, the hens will be fine.

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 09:45 »
my dogs are chas - she is a newfoundland / alsation cross who completely ignores the chickens and ollie who is a 2 year old neapolitan mastiff. She used to chase them but now is ok so long as they don't come into the house or try to steal her bones  :lol:. Until you are sure of your dogs then keep the chickens behind netting or a fence.
Don't you have a public right of way through your land? If you do then make sure nobody else's dog can get to them  :(

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 11:24 »
Thanks all

Yes we have a right of way but the acre nearest the house is secure and frankly, since the neighbour who is doing all the complaining got nowhere with the council, she is really pushing her luck with her 2 older teens running all over the other acre playing with the dog, and at other times putting him in the field on his own to have a run and a c**p.

So sadly we will be putting up another fence, effecting making a 2 metre corridor for the right of way - such a shame that one person can spol it for everyone else.  I am tempted to put up a notice explaining why I'm doing it but frankly I'm hoping this nonsense will stop and we and the decent neighbours can just enjoy things in peace.

If not, I have CCTV and will have to take legal action.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 13:27 »
Sorry to hear your neighbour worries are still ongoing. I'm sure the chickens will soon get used to dogs in close proximity. Good on you for allowing a rescue centre to use the land you don't. As for people who throw their dogs in to a field to do their own thing rather than walking them properly, I know exactly what you mean, our dreadful neighbours do the same with the children's playing field behind our houses. Never seen them scoop a poop. >:(

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 13:32 »
Well I'm afraid I would be out with a camera if they didn't scoop in a childrens playing field.  That's soooooo bad!

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 15:34 »
Well I'm afraid I would be out with a camera if they didn't scoop in a childrens playing field.  That's soooooo bad!

All in hand! (Well, not literally you nunderstand!)

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 15:36 »
lol

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 15:39 »

yeuk  :tongue2:  :lol: :lol:

Pretty Chick

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 17:55 »
You mean the dogs ignore the chickens or vice versa?
My dogs take no notice of my chickens AND vise versa  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 22:06 »
My Penny comes into the runs with me and she totally ignores the chickens and chicks, unless they get underneath her and peck her nipples!  then she gives a little growl to frighten them off! ouch!  ???

xx
do chickens and dogs get on

Started by jakinpeter on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 09:19
by Curlytop
xx
Chickens and dogs.

Started by orfy on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 10:56
by orfy
xx
Chickens & Dogs

Started by Tonks on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 14, 2010, 22:00
by Ice
xx
2 dogs Vs His chickens

Started by FCG on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 15:39
by FCG

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 36 queries.