Chickens and dogs

• 7 Replies

Knight Family

Chickens and dogs
« on: November 09, 2008, 10:08 »
Well we had our second incident this morning, with our dogs and chickens. Not a very good morning start, 1 injured chicken and 2 deafend dogs.

So does anyone have any good advice on how to decentivise dogs to chickens?

P.S. Gate latch failed (going to put sliding bolt on gate to ensure it never happens again!
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

Vember

Chickens and dogs
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 10:37 »
I think it really depends on your dogs :?
I have 5, 3 of which are free to roam the land with the birds. The youngest had an odd chase to begin with but after a few NO's she has stopped :)
I can't see your sig now but if I remember rightly you have Collies?
The 3 I have loose are Collies, I think it's a case with them of keep telling them they are very intelligent so should get the message eventually  :?
 Our other 2 dogs are Jacks one we have to keep on a huge rope as he is a wanderer :( But he never bothers when the birds pass him on the lawn but I wouldn't trust him 100%. The other Jack is blind so when he's out one of us is always with him. Even though he can't see he still managed to grab Crumb round the neck last year (- made a mess) think that was a lucky grab though :?

Sorry to waffle, have you ever tried clicker training :? Did it with my 3.
Say no "click" then give a small treat (I used cat biscuits), worked for me :D

Sarah :)

Knight Family

Chickens and dogs
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 15:42 »
Sarah,
  Thanks, yer 1 of our collies is not bothered what so ever (no instict in her at all), but the oldest is terror.

Think I'll have to go back to basic's with her.

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
Chickens and dogs
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 17:09 »
There is a book called Kohler's Method of Guard Dog Training that is a very good guide on your dog becoming a good citizen and has chapters on stopping the chase or fighting of other animals  plus basic obediance.
 The author has an entire series of books for many aspects of dog training and has trained both military and civillian dogs in all phases of working. I used the book to train my Dobermans when I had them and a leash was never required when we went for a walk. My Dobes firmly believed that no matter where they were I was not only watching them but that I could reach out and touch them.

matilda duck

Chickens and dogs
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 23:58 »
I fully understand what you are going through.  Our red setter hates the ducks and chickens so he has to be kept behind the gate well away from them..NIGHTMARE!!!  I just wanted a life where they would all get on together......

garom

Chickens and dogs
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 05:19 »
We have a springer who when we first got our chooks loved to think he was allowed to chase them.
We got a spray bottle which we filled with water turned the nozzle to full spray and everytime he went near them we gave him a qucik spurt along with a firm no .It took us about a fortnight but it worked.He will come with me to get them up and put them to bed but he sits quite away away from them and is quite nonchlant with them when there in the garden.
The MEWW's = 1 x Husband 3 x Kids 1 x springer spaniel 2 x Cats 5 x Chickens

rainbowspells

Chickens and dogs
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 10:35 »
I found this video which gave me a few tips with our new dog

nC8z00JuFEM

Garom's tip with the water bottle works well too

Good luck

ceri green

• Experienced Member
Chickens and dogs
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 18:36 »
i wont bore everyone again with my story of my friend's springer cross that cleared a 6ft fence and killed all my chickens except one, including a brahma cockerel, in the space of a minute or two.................
all i would say IMHO is that if the dog has shown even the slightest sign of aggression or even too much curiosity towards the chooks, then KEEP IT WELL AWAY .... its not a situation you can "put to the test" so to speak

xx
2 dogs Vs His chickens

Started by FCG on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 15:39
by FCG
xx
Chickens and dogs

Started by gsc on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 17:46
by dhutchie
xx
do chickens and dogs get on

Started by jakinpeter on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 09:19
by Curlytop
xx
Chickens and dogs.

Started by orfy on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 10:56
by orfy

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 32 queries.