2 dogs Vs His chickens

• 7 Replies

FCG

2 dogs Vs His chickens
« on: June 02, 2008, 08:41 »
Not so much fun today for my neighbour!

Two scrawny little dogs, probably terriers, had gotten into his chicken run from outside the garden by digging under the gardens fence and biting through his plastic netting. They where having a whale of a time biting and killing his chickens until i banged on the garden fence as i was passing, before i ran to his front door. I walk there for the vast amount of mole hills which i collect, i remember munty i think saying it was good for some uses. So i bang on his garden fence and out he runs out while i go to the front and yells 'what the * are you doing' "something has gotten into your chickens" 'f##king'ell' "I was just passing are they alright" 'If your hanging around f##k off 'cause you ain't getting your dog back' "Alright, i was only walking here for the molehills. They arn't my dogs i don't keep dogs"

I also told him i hadn't seen the dogs before, it seems me was pretty angry which wasn't a surprise as i think quite a few chickens where either dead or lost a lot of feathers and had gained injury's!

Looks like my first encounter with my chicken keeping neighbour wasn't a good one (Possibly exacerbated by him wearing his housecoat & slippers)

Any way to patch it up?

Porffor

2 dogs Vs His chickens
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 08:57 »
Being a girl... i'd recommend a card, just a blank one with a note saying you hope that the chickens are ok, and perhaps that you tried (even if it's not true) to chase the dogs owners but to no avail.. that way you are explaining again that they are not yours.. and that you understand his loss/anger.
Perhaps explaining you are a chook lover too. :)

Then if you see him again you can chat about the card as an ice-breaker.

Or... you could knock and say hello and the same sort of thing.. me i'd shy away from that one though! :lol: i'm a bit shy till i know someone. :)

poultrygeist

2 dogs Vs His chickens
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 11:32 »
He may be feeling a bit of an idiot too, so he might be relieved to know you're not angry with him.

The card or note through the door sounds a good idea. Just don't mention the house coat and slippers !

Hope you patch it up ok.

Rob

peggyprice

2 dogs Vs His chickens
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 13:01 »
I'd go with the note as well - he was probably understandably confused and angry at the time and with time to reflect will realise he made a mistake.  

Wouldn't suggest taking him any chicken soup, though  :?
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

FCG

2 dogs Vs His chickens
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 15:22 »
Went round and had a chat with the guy, he was relived that i actually took action as he didn't hear his chickens getting slaughtered only me yelling at what i thought then was a fox. Thanked me and we had a good natter about what breeds he had.

Well, the two little gits that perpetrated the crime have now been split up. One * got away while the other was caught and handed to the pound. Unfortunately i wasn't quick enough to save a cookoo maran hen and another has 1/2 a wings worth of feathers missing while a third has a huge gash down it's side. He doesn't know what other injuries the rest have. He expects to lose a few more due to infections/shock, so i feel for the guy.

I felt like a bit of a bum, but i pointed out his weak spot (using plastic netting instead of metal) and put him on the way to weldmesh from B&Q (another fab pointer from here).

I'll probably get along like a house on fire now, but the poor chickens! I bet he isn't getting any eggs this week.

poultrygeist

2 dogs Vs His chickens
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 15:27 »
Brilliant outcome for your neighbour relations, though bad news for him.

At least he may be able to protect the others a bit better.

Well done for taking the plunge and for advising him. A good neighbour indeed.  :)

Rob

peggyprice

2 dogs Vs His chickens
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 15:30 »
Sounds to me like you've done a good job all round   :)  

Hope you've given him this web address as well ...  http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewforum.php?f=3

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

FCG

2 dogs Vs His chickens
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 15:39 »
Havn't got round to giving him this forum yet, must do it pronto!

xx
Chickens and dogs

Started by Knight Family on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 10, 2008, 18:36
by ceri green
xx
Chickens and dogs

Started by gsc on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 17:46
by dhutchie
xx
Chickens and dogs.

Started by orfy on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 10:56
by orfy
xx
do chickens and dogs get on

Started by jakinpeter on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 09:19
by Curlytop

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 39 queries.