Alpha Hen Stopped laying

• 3 Replies

Vi

Alpha Hen Stopped laying
« on: July 08, 2009, 03:45 »
Hi there,

another question from a rookie :)  We picked up our first hens ever (3) from the produce shop a couple months ago as POL hens.  The first one started laying eggs after a month or so, the second one started laying a couple weeks later, then about 2 weeks ago the third one started laying eggs.  after a week of getting 3 eggs daily, it seems the first hen (who is also the alpha hen) has stopped laying.  She's bright and healthy and plump and fluffy.  Could it just be that the cool temps have put her off? or do they randomly take breaks? I was under the impression that they stop laying while moulting or being broody or being ill.  Are there any other causes that might be good for me to know?

Vi

Vember

Re: Alpha Hen Stopped laying
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 10:14 »
The fact it's winter will play a big part in it I'm sure :)

Some of mine carry on through out winter but not at full production, it's down to the amount of daylight hours :)
The only way to over ride that would be to have artificial light in the coop. Personally I leave mine to rest over winter any eggs are a plus but if there is non so be it, I'll get them again come March :D

I'm sure she'll make up for it once your longer days start, then you can laugh at us not getting many eggs whilst you have that many you don't know what to do with them all :lol:

Sarah :)

Vi

Excellent :)
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 00:04 »
I was hoping it was just that it was winter :)  Two a day is more than enough for us anyway.  We usually just use the eggs for baking anyway :)  Glad to hear it's normal :)

Vi

Re: Alpha Hen Stopped laying
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 06:26 »
She's laying again :) 3 eggs today :)

xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
Stopped Laying

Started by rugbymad40 on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post January 01, 2008, 13:29
by Rob the rake
xx
Hen has stopped laying

Started by Dibsy on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post June 21, 2013, 16:15
by Dibsy
xx
Stopped Laying

Started by chloe on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 17:18
by darkbrowneggs

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 28 queries.