Mountfield M1 Rotavator belt sizes

• 5 Replies

Ianhw77k

Mountfield M1 Rotavator belt sizes
« on: September 22, 2014, 20:29 »
After searching through 50 threads on this subject I still can't find the information I'm looking for, so I'll just come right out and ask.

I recently bought an old Mountfield Estate rotovator with a 4hp Briggs engine. It was £20 so worth a punt. Everything seems to be there but it was in a bit of a sorry state. oil in the bore, dented petrol tank with water in the fuel, stuck recoil starter (dented cowl), showing signs of oil loss by the looks of all the crud underneath and only one belt and the belt tensioner seemed a bit loose, I think the cable needs looking at.
I've stripped the engine, got the parts I need including an electronic ignition coil, found a new petrol tank. I can't see any reason for the oil in the bore so I'm just going to assume it was stored badly and the oil found it's way in there.

Anyway, enough rambling about the engine, what I need to know is the size of the drive belts. Assuming the one left on there was the right size, it doesn't seem to match up with any information I can find. The markings have long gone so I've measured it at 660mm or 26". Part numbers in the book (kindly supplied by this site in handy PDF format :)) could be either MX206 or MX190.

Does any of this make any sense to anyone here? Once I know the sizes I can go ahead and order some nice new kevlar belts for it, hopefully.

Many thanks in anticipation :unsure:

Ianhw77k

Re: Mountfield M1 Rotavator belt sizes
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 20:41 »
Sorry, forgot the important bits.

Engine numbers date the machine to early 1978.
Mountfield serial number is: E6016 4

The belt that came with the machine was the toothed type of V belt

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 10:10 »
Depending where you are. A good friendly supplyer will match your old belt up for you.
If you can take the machine with you all the better if as you say one is missing.
A lot of generic belts have different numbers to the one in the manual.
A local dealer will allow returnes and with any information you can give him he will be able to hhelp find the correct one.
May the fork be with you

Ianhw77k

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 17:17 »
Thanks for that, I have an account at my local repair shop, they're usually very helpful (if you get the right bloke) maybe I'll ask him when I drop in to get my air filter. All I really need is the sizes as I want to get some of these kevlar backed belts from belting online, designed for belt clutch systems like this.

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 18:46 »
Re the oil in the bore. It is often put in there if the machine is going to be stored for a while as it prevents the rings siezing in the barrel. Good preventative maintenance. The other reason it gets in there is if the valve seals are shot. If you got a full head gasket set they are normally supplied in the kit.

Ianhw77k

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 23:13 »
That's useful to know, didn't think of the valve oil seals. Thanks, I'll look into that, might as well get it all done while the engine is stripped. :)

xx
Need advice with a replacement v belt for wizard rotavator

Started by shrimp on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post June 30, 2015, 22:21
by R Tallentire
xx
mountfield m1 rotavator

Started by peasjay on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post March 18, 2013, 05:33
by Gwiz
xx
Mountfield M1 rotavator

Started by joe rayner on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post December 30, 2008, 13:45
by Gwiz
question
mountfield M1 rotavator

Started by echosounder on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 23, 2013, 12:46
by echosounder

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 35 queries.