Re: Onions from seed - for 2020

• 125 Replies

Chris929

« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2020, 11:50 »
Hi,
Can someone tell me how I know when the seedlings are ready to go into the ground? I've got some in  modules, they are about an inch high at the moment. Thanks!

Unsure of the same myself, mine are approx 2 inches long and have been cut back to about an inch about 3 times since January. Started them to get over the post Christmas blues! Last week I put some in the soil and covered with a cloche and some I kept in the modules but put the modules outside with a propagator - to try and assimilate them to the outside temperatures. Going to check on them today, hopefully all are OK and I can put the module onions in the ground maybe? I don't have enough cloche to cover them all so the propagator trick was to try and avoid having to cover them all at once and harden them off 'out of the ground'.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2020, 16:18 »
Mine are still in the unheated greenhouse at the moment.  It is more down to the weather, than the size of the plants.  I was thinking of putting the earliest sown ones out under a cloche in the next week or so.  I'm not sure about risking it with no frost protection at all. 

A really hard late frost could finish them and that would be a shame after getting them so far.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2020, 16:39 »
My Ailsa Craig are happily sat in the polytunnel. I'll put them under a cloche outside on the next warmish day, waiting until I can plant them out.
Onions.jpg

Florablunder

« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2020, 10:03 »
I think my seedlings are still a bit too diddy to go out for a while. Stupid question - but do you pull the seed husks off the tops, or just leave them to fall off eventually? (As you can probably tell, this is the first time I've tried onions from seed - I usually use sets).

Chris929

« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2020, 10:59 »
I think my seedlings are still a bit too diddy to go out for a while. Stupid question - but do you pull the seed husks off the tops, or just leave them to fall off eventually? (As you can probably tell, this is the first time I've tried onions from seed - I usually use sets).

I cut them off with scissors. If not, they they tend to weigh them down and can lead to further problems of them on the damp soil.

MrsPea

« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2020, 14:07 »
Planted my onion plants this morning and put a cloche over them 'Ailsa Craig' this is the first year i've grown them from seed i tend to plant sets, it will be interesting to see how i do.
I also planted Spring onions red and white plus radish seeds  :)
I Love my green house

Benny130

• Experienced Member
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2020, 21:49 »
Anyone hve any updates with what they are up to? Mine have been outside still in their modules during this fine weather and as temps have been good I’ve left them outside over night. They don’t seem to be doing much. Hope there are ok with  cold but not frosty nights?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 07:09 by Benny130 »

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2020, 23:35 »
Anyone hve any updates with what they are up to? Mine have been outside still in their modules during this fine weather and as temps have been good I’ve left them outside over night. They don’t seem to be doing much. Hope there are ok with  old but not firstly nights?

Same, mine our outside now in their trays. They wont do anything in their compost as it's depleted so they need to be fed or planted. I'm going to plant mine in the next few days all being well.

MrsPea

« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2020, 08:08 »
My onion seeds or plants I planted out a few wks ago are all doing well, I also planted out my beetroot a few days ago and there doing well  :)

JoshP

« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2020, 08:35 »
Planted mine out about a week ago under debris netting as the birds kept pulling them up! Shallots at the near end, then Globo, Ailsa Craig and Bedfordshire Champion. Garlic at the far end.
480D5F1F-82E2-46FB-85C2-EADEFB7CB023.jpeg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2020, 09:23 »
Mine have also been out for about a week, under an insect mesh covered tunnel.  This is them yesterday after I had watered them.
IMG_3552 (768x1024).jpg

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2020, 11:29 »
We are having here, a few have lost about 30% or more of our seedlings over the last few days, not sure what is going on.
I have now transplanted all mine into ground just hope they survive and pull through.
Others have lost their brassicas its a little weird the way some are losing some things and others losing other types of plant.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Benny130

• Experienced Member
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2020, 11:57 »
I’ve done a very foolish thing and got my shallots and onions mixed up  ???  So annoyed with myself.

Won’t harm them to be planted out together will it!? Apart from my ocd being offended when there are mixed up rows??

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2020, 20:50 »
I’ve done a very foolish thing and got my shallots and onions mixed up  ???  So annoyed with myself.

Won’t harm them to be planted out together will it!? Apart from my ocd being offended when there are mixed up rows??

Shallots grown from seed just produce a single bulb, so I can't see it making much difference.  If it is sets you have planted, the shallots will make a clump, so you might get a bit of overcrowding here and there.

Can't help with the ocd though.  You will just have to try not to look at them too closely  :)

Benny130

• Experienced Member
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2020, 20:58 »
And can you tell me how deep I should plant them?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 22:14 by Benny130 »

xx
Potato Days & Seed Fairs 2020

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 17, 2020, 08:51
by cssg mick
xx
Onions from seed.

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 04, 2010, 17:42
by Pompey Spud
xx
onions gone to seed ?

Started by hammers07 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 18, 2007, 20:32
by DD.
xx
onions from seed now

Started by steven c on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 06, 2021, 14:53
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 55 queries.