• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Onions from seed - for 2020
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2020, 08:29 »
Your welcome.

All my little babs are popping up now.
Just 7 days from setting them off.
20200301_082830.jpg
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2020, 21:49 »
Never grown onions from seed before and the ones that I sowed the other day have started to show !!  Well happy! :D :D  Just need to get some more underway.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2020, 09:52 »
Never grown onions from seed before and the ones that I sowed the other day have started to show !!  Well happy! :D :D  Just need to get some more underway.

Sounds like a great result for your first try :D

It does get a bit addictive this onion growing lark.  I have a mini greenhouse inside the main greenhouse stuffed with seedlings and probably no room for them all on the plot  ::)  I think it is just a way to get going early in the season,  sort through seed packets and feel you are growing something.  It speaks to the inner seedaholic in us all :lol:

chillimummy

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2020, 11:08 »
Am I too late to sow onion seeds?
Presume the answer can be that nothing ventured, nothing gained  :D

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

jambop

« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2020, 14:08 »
No ! Sow them into some decent compost in a module tray three seed per module and germinate in a warm place.  When they are through get them into a greenhouse or under some sort of protection where they get plenty of light and grow them on until they are to be planted out at about 25 cm apart they will form nice clumps medium sized onions which will keep well if they are the correct variety... try golden bear F1 from premier seeds on eBay.

chillimummy

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2020, 16:07 »
No ! Sow them into some decent compost in a module tray three seed per module and germinate in a warm place.  When they are through get them into a greenhouse or under some sort of protection where they get plenty of light and grow them on until they are to be planted out at about 25 cm apart they will form nice clumps medium sized onions which will keep well if they are the correct variety... try golden bear F1 from premier seeds on eBay.
Thanks for advice.
I'm just off to hunt out my seed packet  :) Can't remember which type they are but already got this years compost. 

jambop

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2020, 18:24 »
Thanks for advice.
I'm just off to hunt out my seed packet  :) Can't remember which type they are but already got this years compost.

One thing I would advise with onions is not to use seed that is more than one year old. I have found that the germination of seeds more than one year old is very disappointing. So for the cost of 1.50p you could get 130 santero F1 seeds inc delivery!

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2020, 21:38 »

Sounds like a great result for your first try :D

It does get a bit addictive this onion growing lark.  I have a mini greenhouse inside the main greenhouse stuffed with seedlings and probably no room for them all on the plot  ::)  I think it is just a way to get going early in the season,  sort through seed packets and feel you are growing something.  It speaks to the inner seedaholic in us all :lol:

Hopefully they will get to the kitchen . If I'm in tears later this year all will be good  :lol: :lol:

Still cogitating if I'm a seedaholic. :unsure: :unsure:

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2020, 23:48 »
After procrastinating all Winter I finally sowed some Ailsa Craig yesterday along with my leeks and around 60% of the seeds have already germinated.

jambop

« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2020, 08:48 »
After procrastinating all Winter I finally sowed some Ailsa Craig yesterday along with my leeks and around 60% of the seeds have already germinated.
Hopefully come September you will have some nice onions to hang up... or as I do put into trays to store.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2020, 10:23 »
Hopefully come September you will have some nice onions to hang up... or as I do put into trays to store.

I lazily left mine on the staging shelves in the polytunnel and they've stored pretty well!

jambop

« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2020, 11:20 »

I lazily left mine on the staging shelves in the polytunnel and they've stored pretty well!

My onions from last season are still storing extremely well. I think the real secret is not lifting them too soon, I let the foliage die right back the I make sure the are completely dry by putting them in the log store which is covered but open to the drying winds. I then trim the dry roots off and cut the tops off and put them in plastic trays like those seen in veg shops. They then go into my workshop which is dry but cold.

MrsPea

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2020, 18:40 »
Having never grown onions from seed how deep do you plant them out ??? i think mine are ready to go out they've grown quite tall  :)
I Love my green house

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2020, 20:01 »
Last year I put mine in deep enough that they didn't fall over easily, around an inch I think.

xx
Potato Days & Seed Fairs 2020

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 17, 2020, 08:51
by cssg mick
xx
Onions from seed?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 15, 2017, 11:12
by New shoot
xx
Help onions going to seed!?

Started by cheadleplotter on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 30, 2009, 09:28
by yummy
xx
Onions from seed.

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 02, 2013, 07:20
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 55 queries.